Fired

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ShadowChick, Aug 30, 2018.

1. ShadowChick

ShadowChick Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2018
    I'm a solo rookie driver of seven months. I recently went to a new company and had my first trailer accident. Two to be exact. First accident I didn't swing wide enough and hit some 4x4 posts with my trailer that were at the entrance of a yard. Didn't even see them, they were old and weathered and not painted yellow... No excuse, I know. Second one I went to NJ for the first time and didn't know to move my tandems forward because of the tight turns. Hit the edge of a concrete burm with the front set of tandems.

Since both were within my first 30 days, I was of course, let go.

I'm going to give myself a breather before I start putting applications out there again but honestly I expect my career is toast.

Neither accident was ticketed or involved LE, the first was not put on my dac report or csa. I'm not sure what they'll do about the second. But, when fill out my app and I say I was fired due to an accident, it's probably going to be done and over right there and then.

On the part of the app where it asks about accidents, do I list both or just the one I was fired for?

And do you have any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Crap happens, learn from it and go get another job. You will be fine. ;-)

CJ701, rabbiporkchop, C & C and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Buy the boss a jug and thank him for the opportunity and move on
    Good luck

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you will be DAC'd for both accidents.

on the applications just say private property accidents. these will not be on your DMV file, only your company file.

6. #wishfulthinking

#wishfulthinking Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Central Iowa
    Your career is not toast. There are still companies out there that will give you a chance. It's not our mistakes that define us, it's how we respond to our mistakes and what we learn from them that define us. Where are you located?

Woodys, TravR1, Suspect Zero and 4 others Thank this.
  7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Apply to Swift or knight.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Do not wait, put applications as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more of a chance it will follow you.

CJ701, Opendeckin, Woodys and 6 others Thank this.
  9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    There are many smaller companies that don't use DAC. But you need to start watching your mirrors. That could have been a person instead of a post. When you get another job, and you will, pay attention to everything.

10. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Those are not accidents, those are incidents. What happened when you hit the curb? Getting fired for that is a bit ridiculous. I curb tires on my trailer all the time, and they are slid as far forward as possible. It is just a fact, and that stuff happens. If you were my driver, and you were a good cookie, I might dock your pay a nickel. Stuff happens, unless you tore the tandems off, then I would fire your you know what. ;-)

11. Justrucking2

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    DAC, or whatever it is called today is incredibly expensive. Most carriers ignore it for that very reason. The insurance companies handle that stuff for 95% of the carriers out there. DAC is a tool the big outfits use to scare all of you new guys into submission. Like the democrat plantation.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.