Firestik antenna SWR in the 3 +

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by _33, Dec 7, 2018.

1. _33

_33 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Atlanta, Ga
    I have a Western Star. The factory antenna is basically The Identical length of the new firestick I just bought. The factory antenna SWR is that a 1 maybe 1.2 with nothing being changed except the antenna, the fire stick is in the 3+. I tried several different length mounting studs to give and take away length from the bottom of the antenna ( I thought I was buying the tunable tip, I got into a hurry and purchase the wrong one) I used the tunable tip on a Mac with much success, an SWR of 1. With the fire stick on the Western Star, Channel 1 is that a 3 and channel 40 is at a 3+ Any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. _33

_33 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Atlanta, Ga
    Never mind on that. I brought the antenna back. I didn't want to have to trim it. I know that's kind of lazy but it's so much easier to trim a steel Whip or adjust a top load antenna.

4. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    So what did you get to replace it with?

5. _33

_33 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Atlanta, Ga
    I came to the logical conclusion that I should have had in the beginning which you is, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I started thinking to myself... Why would I change the antenna when I basically have a perfect SWR on a properly calibrated radio?

jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  6. _33

_33 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Atlanta, Ga
    I just realized I didn't even answer your question. I just left the factory antenna on it.

jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  7. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Musta been a bad ant..With minor adjustment a new ant should darn near follow..

8. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    cause stick antenna’s are horrible for receiving and getting out even with great swr’s.

9. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Hhhmmm really..Sence when??
    My 7ft skip shooter does atleast 1db better than a 10k on a 20+" shaft..

10. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Swr aint the end all to be all either..Get someone with an analyzer on it and see where the sweet spot is and adjust..

11. _33

_33 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Atlanta, Ga
    I had a k40 trucker on it with a 1 ratio (almost identical length as well) but I thought it had a defect because my receive was awful. I tossed it and mounted the original and had the same issue. Come to find it was the mounting assembly. So I assumed the firestick would be the same length or close with the same ratio. I don't think that is the case. Different antennas and manufacturers have different impedance so I'm pretty sure the length can vary (possibly several inches)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.