First And Last Time KW Buyer .

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Whiteline64, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Whiteline64

Whiteline64 Light Load Member

May 5, 2016
    Atlanta,GA
    Leased a KW T680 a year and a half ago . Nothing but one huge headache . From catching fire going down the road , to issues keeping the front end aligned ... seats fell apart ... weird electrical flubs ...
    And the worst part of it all is the abysmal ## attitude from KW . $150,000 doesn’t get you anything today .
    Even though FREIGHTLINER is the butts of jokes ... I think in many ways they are superior to KW .
    My recommendation after this experience, stay away from KW .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    But... who else but a KW driver can brag about going so fast, the truck burst into flames, while falling backwards into the sleeper at 70+

4. Whiteline64

May 5, 2016
    Atlanta,GA
    I was actually doing 55 . Downhill and empty .

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    My previous job only ran KWs... I call them "Ken worthless". Brand new trucks going to the shop on a monthly basis. Shameful.

6. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Was this a brand new truck? That kind of stuff can happen with any make, and sometimes dealerships aren't much help. It's really a gamble, new or used, KW, Pete, Freightliner, IH, Western Star, or Volvo, doesn't matter, sometimes you get a clunker and a non supportive dealership.

austinmike, Dave_in_AZ, 201 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Whiteline64

May 5, 2016
    Atlanta,GA
    Exactly where I’m at . They can’t figure out the front end issue ... and they built it . Unreal .

Just passing by and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. Whiteline64

May 5, 2016
    Atlanta,GA
    Brand new . 56 miles on the odometer. Dealerships are a waste of time . Truck stops don’t have parts . At least Freightliner can be fixed almost anywhere .

Dave_in_AZ and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  9. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Very true about the Freightliners. There was a time when I wouldn't even consider one. Now I have 4, had 5 but one took a crap. I do have 2 T680's, no issues with them either, and my W9 which I love.

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Thank you, someone thinking right. 1st of all, how dare some call KWhoppers worthless. Shows what you know. Kenworth to anyone that wasn't in diapers 20 years ago, knows KW is simply the best truck made. Not necessarily the nicest, but the "Dubja 900" been around for 60+ years( 1961), no other truck can make that claim. Every KW I drove , even the beaters, were quality trucks. To say they are bad, going solely on todays crap, is so unfair. All the greats drove KWhoppers, Sonny Pruitt( my mentor), Snowman, BJ, all drove KW's. Even Hollywood knew that. Go buy your FreightvolvIH, and talk to me in 10 years,,,if I'm around, that is. I guarantee you won't have that same truck. I've seen KW's with 8 million miles, Volvo, not so much.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  11. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I wont buy Ford. Cause I had one that I had trouble with from day one. On the first day off the lot, they sent a wrecker after it.
    Having said that, my family was a 100% Ford family. But, I wont buy one.
    The reason? For three years, it was being towed to the shop. For three years they were continually working on it at the dealership. Never... never did they fix it. So, I fixed it. I traded it in on a Chevrolet & never had another problem. Ford fixed.

I said all that to say this. After all the years that my family owned Fords, I got a bad one. My point? You can get a bad one..... of anything.
    My gripe still today is that nobody in Ford motor company would fix this issue.... in three years... no one would go the extra mile to figure it out.

Several years later, my brother was reading a Popular Mechanics magazine & there was an article on these 1988 Ford ranger engines. There was a flaw where the screw that holds the ground wire in the distributor would vibrate loose. Therefore, it wouldnt ground. Then it would vibrate around just enough to ground... then it wouldnt ground.... then it would. Thats why it would just die out of the blue.

In 3 years, no one ever found the issue. I begged the dealer to contact someone higher up in Ford to send an "expert" of some sort to find the issue. They never did.
    I called Ford myself & got no help.
    My personality.......... They dont support me, so I dont support them. I havent owned a Ford since I traded it in 1991.

austinmike and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.