First contact with a broker (or several) for a new authority

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Gumper, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I wanted to post this in the broker section since asking brokers seems like it may get me further ahead than the O/O section exclusively. I’ve been driving for a company for 5 years, and will be out on my own with a truck and flatbed next month. I’ve been observing load boards for weeks watching for recurring routes, and price trends. Making sure there is work in my area that is profitable. Is there any advice to give as far as calling to bid on loads for someone who has never talked with a broker before? I assume getting work for a brand new O/O isn’t going to be easy. I’ve painstakingly gone of my costs, and what I’d like to charge for certain loads to certain areas. Tarping fees, detention time, minimum daily rates to make it worth starting the truck, delivery areas that are hard to get loads back out of, what I’d like to make per mile, stuff like that. I have issues sometimes talking on the phone, so I want to know what is expected on both ends when trying to get loads. Don’t want to go in blind to my first potential job while out on my own.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Gumper:

Honestly? Be polite, professional, and cordial. You're gonna run into brokers who aren't, but the ones who are will value that, especially considering some of the drivers/dispatchers we run into out there. Like anything, brokers are people, too. Don't be afraid to ask for your number - the worst they can tell you is "no." There's plenty of freight out there, and you're hitting the market at a pretty prime time. Make the best of it!

Thouren, DSK333, whoopNride and 4 others Thank this.
  4. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Once you find the load your looking for do some research on what the lane is paying as of late or what you know it to pay on the regular . Once you figure the rate you will be ok hauling for write it down , than write the least you might take for this load . Once you call broker let them know your calling on a load posted on the board , they will need load number . They will give you the details of load and sometimes give you a rate right off the bat . Sometimes they straight up ask you what you would haul it for . Even if they hit me with a good price I hit them higher and typically they will pay . If they hit you with the least you might pay hit them higher again , they more than likely will move that price near your number . Most brokers are nice guys and want a good carrier to work with . If a price cant be met say that's not in my budget thankyou have a good day . good luck

DSK333, whoopNride and PPDCT Thank this.
  5. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Generally you just need the load reference number, and a price? Sorry for the ignorance, this is all foreign to me. I’m used to just being told where to go, what to bring and when to get there.

6. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Yup get the load # and your price ready . Other than that make sure the job fits your schedule and sets you up for your next load . I book my self 2 -3 loads out if I can .

7. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I’ve been practicing booking loads that’ll last me 4-5 days with as few empty miles as possible. Luckily where I live is at the interchange of two major interstates, so a lot of loads will go through my hometown allowing me to be home quite a bit. That’s thn theory anyway, we will see what happens in reality.

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Part of my mistake was being too shy. The market sucked until the 4th quarter of 2017 in addition to that. Some of the guys here were saying that they were getting this or that for a lane, but I thought I could not get what they were getting because of my MC# being too fresh..Some of that was true, though. It takes about a year of a market exposure to grasp what pays what, or rather what can be paid at the right time.

DSK333 and whoopNride Thank this.
  9. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Yeah, that'll happen. Sometimes that happens to me, too. I personally have to drive myself to.make the number for the customer. Sometimes it's tricky.

10. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Start by calling up brokers and ask "I just received my operating authority, does your company work with new carriers?"

If yes ask them to send you a packet to fill out. At that point you will know which brokers you can use.

Now I know that some will not even bother to check the age of your authority so for some brokers just for you to be able to move the shipment is all they want to hear. Like if a company receives your completed packet and requires you to be in business for 6 months BUT doesn't check your authority age and gives you the load anyway then your good to go.

AaronP, DSK333, Gumper and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Most brokers make between $50 to $250 per shipment. Basied on my emails from shipments less than 500 miles delivered.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.