First Day No Call No Show

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midwest Trucker, May 22, 2019.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Gotta love it when you completely waste your time and resources interviewing, drug testing, vetting, drive testing, all the paperworking, truck detailing, coming in early to meet, and driver never shows and won’t answer the phone. What possibly can change in less then 24 hours going from excited to start and thanks for the great opportunity to standing the company up after it’s done all this work and has a load lined up to go.

Grrrrrr! Just venting.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    People don't use a switch on their kids anymore that's where the problem began.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Dude, I keep track of this and throughout the past 13 years plus, I have about 25 drivers who did this with only one ever calling and apologizing... and he begged me for a second chance ... still working too.

I have heard every excuse, most were "my -----fill in the blank---- had her/his kid and had to go to the hospital" ... the worst lie was "I discovered my grandmother dead in my bedroom" ... but the guy was living there and she answered the phone.

I don't get upset like I used to, I just call someone else to see if they are interested.

5. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    Yeah the hospital one is probably the most over used in the book. Sadly, I’ve even had guys tell me they got cancer and faked that. What disrespect to those poor souls who are actually dealing with cancer.

It’s the young guys that are the worst. “My stomach hurts and I’m coughing up blood”. Look I’m not your mommy. I know darn well it was early and your laid up under the covers with the ol lady and she says baby don’t go. I want you here with me. lol

6. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    I can safely say I've never done that to an employer. Then again, I make double darn sure my start date doesn't have anything obstructing it, like a spousal plan you were informed of but forgot about (or worse, weren't aware of in the first place and hell will look like a matchstick next to spousal rage if you miss it).

Once you commit to a start date for an employer, KEEP IT. Maybe you hate the job and quit shortly after, but get the best jump out of the gate that you can.

mp4694330, D.Tibbitt, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    Good on you my friend. It’s called having respect for both yourself and others. At least have the balls to call or even FFS text that hey look it’s not gonna work out.

It’s a shame too he lives close by and would have been a great position for him into the future. Now that bridge has been fully burnt to the ground. Lifetime ban.

Sad part is the guy was an owner op and just lost his truck. Wanted to go back to being a company man and regain his footing. No wonder he failed. No values.

8. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    He got a better offer. Period.

TankerP, jammer910Z, 88228822 and 3 others Thank this.
  9. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    Well, when I was getting started in driving I at the time was just wanting a driving job so at the time my mindset was to just apply apply apply and see which one I got. I was in orientation at one company and then Maverick TRANSPORT calls and says I was approved and I tell him I am in orientation. Got to make a move. Can't be waiting forever. But it does suck because it is a lot of paperwork to hire someone. I didn't know at the time how much work it was to just get hired at some company.I have been to a lot of jobs already. I know my record is probably messed up with my frequent job moving. But when I found a decent job I hung in for at least one year before moving to show some loyalty, well at 2 of my company driver jobs I did, owner op well it's been a bit more frequent moving, 9 months, less then one month(because the owner wasn't to what he said) And currently looking to leave although it has been 3 months but it is do to this trailer I purchased and feel a open deck flatbed is better then investing in a conestoga kit as the expense of the kit and mpg losses, I'm not quite financially ready yet to make it a conestoga as they dont do open deck.But I realize it isn't good to move so much for job history.But then again it just sucks that the industry makes it harder as you move around. All I was and had been doing was to better myself. Whether it was to learn flatbed or to move my business elsewhere that is what I do. To better myself and weigh in the odds and try to have a talk with the company before I leave. And I do appreciate companies that have an open door policy to where you can talk to whoever's you need to instead of being at a front desk and see if they would let me back if things don't work out, that is when you know they care.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Reason for edit: Added to post
    Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  10. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    I really doubt it but maybe so. He was looking for home weekends and that’s what I provided. The pay and vacation is industry leading IMO for vans. I even let him know that if sometime in the future he wanted to go local we could probably work him into that with some notice. We even discussed one day him being a mechanic since that was part of his military background. There was a lot of opportunity to be had. What a shame.

Yeah, I’m very open door and all drivers have my cell and can call or text day or night. Pretty much any issue can be worked through with communication.

Oh well, what you gonna do. I still get pissed but anymore I just chalk it up to “Boy I dodged a bullet with that one, it’s for the better to know now instead of later”.

11. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    Well I been following midwest and I say he does pay his drivers pretty well, above average. Better then what I was making when I was company so.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.