First day of CDL school

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by SplashDogs, Jan 8, 2018.

1. SplashDogs

SplashDogs Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Thank you for the advice & luck! :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SplashDogs

Nov 29, 2017
    Hey that’s actually really good to know. I’m certanly no stranger to overtime. I work a long week at my current job and then plow whenever they need me to. It’s been a great winter for it thus far. I was actually looking into getting a plow job with the state once I graduate (if I stay local with a trucking job. not sure about that yet)..

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. SplashDogs

Nov 29, 2017
    Oh definitely. Most people around here aren’t strangers to winter driving. If they aren’t able to drive through snow/ice, they should probably leave New England lol ;-)

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hm. If you got a CDL A and so forth, you might be doing other things besides just plowing with the State.

SplashDogs Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Here in the south we don't go out on ice or snow when we can stay home. It's not for us, but rather the others who do not have the skills to do the snow or ice that well. A little sunshine and some stiff wind a day or two after a storm generally clears our roads, not always.

I-40 however in Arkansas gets to be a ROYAL mess and has to be shut down in places whenever we have a little snow. Keep that in mind if you ever get into trucking out west. Not everyone has plows.

I like to pick on chicago a little bit. Every time a flake comes down, they send out 10,000 plows with salt. Lay it down all over the place. Next thing they see is slush. Then ice once the sun goes down and you wonder what in the world are they doing?

SplashDogs and TravR1 Thank this.
  7. SplashDogs

Nov 29, 2017
    Oh yeah definitely. I plan on getting my class A with full endorsements. If i find a local driving job, I’d like to pick up a second job plowing with the state. I’m not sure if I’m going to stay local though. Might end up going otr for a bit and if that’s the case I’ll obviously have to say goodbye to plowing for a while.

8. SplashDogs

Nov 29, 2017
    Chicago is keeping their budget high lol.. Mass does the same thing. One snowflake and they start scraping pavement and laying salt. New Hampshire has a different approach though, they wait until the end of the storm to do any plowing/cleaning which is a headache for the commuters (me lol).

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I drove many a winter in SLC UT. Of course they were always diligent about plowing.

Been in tx over 8 years now and have gotten spoiled in winter driving. Used to handle the cold like a champion, but now days if it drops below 50 I am the worlds biggest snowflake.

UT would be out plowing a little before it starts, and will continue after it ends until everything is clear... plowing along, burying cars parked along the side of the road.

x1Heavy and SplashDogs Thank this.
  10. SplashDogs

Nov 29, 2017
    I don’t blame you. Friend of mine moved to tx a few years back. He was born/raised in NH. Came back to visit his family around Christmas of 2017 and he just complained non-stop about the cold.. Once you get used to living in a warmer climate, that’s all your body accepts anymore lol.

TravR1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    TravR1 the worlds biggest snowflake. He he...

Ive trouble with the cold as well believe it or not. It's around -10 with the wind and we are expecting zero or lower next couple of days. I do miss our fire place back home. We don't have those here too much. But the neighbors certainly did judging by the trees Ive cut and delivered to them over 10 winters from my land.

SplashDogs Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.