First day on my own and I cross dropped.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by mud23609, Jan 26, 2018.

1. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Yep that’s right. I’m sitting here waiting for them to bring the pump so I can help them pump out the tank.

When I loaded at the refinery I hit the wrong product selection and put 1000 gallons of 87 oxy into a pocket that should have contained 91 non oxy.

I didn’t catch it on the bol when I looked at it before leaving like I should have . I finally caught it when I went to write out the ticket.

Sure wasn’t the funnest call to make to my boss. On the bright side I still have a job. They asked me if I was willing to work tomorrow still. But I sure feel stupid right now.

So here I sit. Writing out a checklist of step by step what I need to do each time so I can follow it and make sure this doesn’t happen again while I wait for them to bring me the pump and new 91 non oxy product.

If nothing else I hope this serves as a reminder to check and recheck your bols. Three and a half years of driving most of it in ltl. Never a scrape, scratch, or incident and I go and do something stupid like this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Hey, at least you didn’t drop diesel in there. Stuff happens to the best of us.

4. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I was filling up at the Petro in Wilmington, IL. I got about 50 gallons in when I noticed a strong smell of gasoline. I cut the pump off and didn’t finish filling it.

I’m guessing it wasn’t contaminated too bad because I didn’t seize an injector before I made it to another place to finish filling it.

Steel Dragon and roadranger550 Thank this.
  5. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Everybody makes mistakes, and no one got hurt, so it's not all bad.
    At training, it was suggested that we circle the product and destination, after verifying it was correct. That's been helping me. I caught an over load of diesel that way. Diesel is heavier, so we only load 7500 gallons, 8600 for gas. I made a mistake calculating in my head how much to put in each compartment, and loaded 8600 diesel. Fortunately I caught it on the BOL, and the first drop was only a couple blocks from the refinery. I still ended up hitting the overflow ball, and locking on, but was able to get the hose drained, and the rest went to the second drop.
    Hang in there, you just learned a valuable lesson. I bet you won't do it again.

6. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Did you mess up? Yes but you also caught that mess up. I'm the company understands. But if you had messed up and did not catch it. Then cost them big time. Different story.
    Your like the rest of us. Learn fast when we screw up. When I was pulling a tanker. Had just dropped a loaded Methanol tanker. Pulled around to get my Empty 10 WT tanker to head back out. Driver was hooking up to my loaded I had just dropped. I went over and caught him before he could get out of the yard. Asked him why in the world he was hooked to the loaded trailer?:eek:
    He was leading back to get it loaded again. Asked him why in the world he could not tell it was loaded? His only answer was I don't know...:mad: Company fired him the next week. He had hooked up to a empty brake fluid tanker. Took it to Mud Island and tried to load it with Methanol. But they laughed at him and turned him away.
    Good luck and triple check and be safe.
    Pete

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I was about to say the same thing. Just a few days ago...

I'm a little fuzzy on how you could load the wrong product though. When I last hauled fuel (admittedly more than 25 years ago... 25 years! :eek:) we had to enter driver code, load code, retailer code and product code at the rack. All loads and products were pre-ordered and selected. So, the only thing we could do wrong at the rack is put the product in the wrong compartment. I am just a little surprised that 25 years later and it's possible to load the wrong product. Seems like the system needs updating.

Of course we could offload in the wrong tank at the destination, but that isn't what you did.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  8. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    In this case we have to preselecte each product. Then select which arm. Then which pocket. Then the number of gallons. And finally select the product from the preselected products list.

I had switched arm 1 from pocket one to pocket 2 after loading 87 oxy and mistakenly reselected 87 oxy. When I switched arm 2 to pocket 3 I did the exact same procedure, well except for doing it correctly and putting 1500 gallons of 91 non oxy like I was supposed to.

None of our loads are pre ordered. It’s all on us to select the proper product and amount after we receive our email from dispatch.

Oh yeah. Still waiting on that pump and new product. Did I mention I did this stupid move over a hundred miles from the terminal? Yep. Insult added to injury.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    not4hire Thanks this.
  9. Gulf

Gulf Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    I was looking at a pretty woman who kept looking at me and I lost focus with which compartment I was hooking my hose to. I mistakenly hooked to regular and dumped into premium hole. It was 2nd week solo after training. Same thing it had to be pumped out, major internal safety write up and violation. Now I walk back and forth checking the lids and compartments twice before pulling the trigger.

10. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    We have these nylon/velcro straps to wrap around the heads to denote a different product in that compartment. A little reminder that it needs to go in a different hole. This one is just orange, I also have a lime green one that says "diesel" on it. I'm not sure what they're called, or where to get them.
    Found them; Hook and Loop Straps, Products

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You've got me beat. I at least waited 2 months before I dropped 3200 gallons of leaded regular into the super tank. I also had to call the boss at 3:30am and tell him. They didn't fire me and I retired from that company with only one contam. If you're good they will keep the driver that they spent all the money on to train. Now you know the humbling events that go along with gasoline hauling and I'm sure you won't do anything like that for some time now.

HotH2o, Rugerfan, Gulf and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.