First impressions of doing OTR

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Lonewolf2000, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Lonewolf2000

Lonewolf2000 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    As I’ve heard the first year in trucking is the hardest.Even though I haven’t even hit the 6 month mark so far so good for me. I wouldn’t describe it as hard but more of a learning experience. Truck driving school just gets you your license but this is where you gain hands on experience. I will admit my trainer was kind of a PITA, to be expected. And I did gain a lot of experience from driving longer 53 ft trailers compared to the 40/45’s I practiced in.Not to mention mountain driving and driving on windy roads. Driving in congested urban areas was intense at first but after the first few times I felt more at ease. Also getting used to driving with a loaded trailer tipping the scales just shy of the 80,000 pound mark, holy crap was what I said to my self when I started driving it. Second time I drove a loaded trailer I just shrugged my shoulders.
    During my first week while still with my trainer I witnessed a truck on the opposite side of the road come around a turn to quickly and rolled over. Goes to show what can happen if your not careful!. Jet lag is another thing I deal with entering different time zones. As much as I enjoy driving trucks it does feel good after 8-11 hours of driving to get out of the drivers seat and lay down. After a long period of time behind the wheel my butt/back/neck hurt, although some days it isn’t so bad. I really enjoy working by myself and I love the peace and quiet, neither of which existed at my old job. And speaking of my old job I wouldn’t go back to it if I was held at gun point.The solitude doesn’t bother me as I’m a pretty solitary person and I don’t mind being away for a month. Eventually I do want to be home at least weekly if not every day. Anyone who can’t handle being a long haul truck driver is a sissy, grow a pair.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Only one question, how fast are you driving that you get jet lag changing time zones?

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which company did you finally choose to drive for?

5. Txdriver77

Txdriver77 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Texas
    sounds like he's driving for mach1 transport, super sonic logistics, turbo express

6. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I thought this was a good post until i read the last sentence. Maybe i am wrong but i kinda took that as a slam on local drivers. Some of the sharpest drivers i have known are local drivers who simply can’t be away from home for whatever reason. For others, like you, it’s the other way around. Nothing wrong with that. I personally did otr and enjoyed it. But now i have a wife and kids so i stay local and love what i do. I often work fifteen hours in a day and go home filthy and exhausted from throwing straps and chains all day. Am i a sissy?

7. Lonewolf2000

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    Swift of all companies!.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    This is petty much what I came away with, too.

But, hey, this guy is obviously super trucker material, and I'm not, so who am I to say?

stwik, stillwurkin and Kyle G. Thank this.
  9. Lonewolf2000

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    Im not slamming local drivers at all I will probably be one myself once I get more experience. The drivers I’m slamming are the 80-90% that don’t even make it to the 1 year mark regardless of if they quit or got fired. I see YouTube videos and read job board reviews about all the mega carriers on indeed/Glassdoor. What a bunch of babies, I never see my family/friends/ I’m never home. Or my truck broke down I’m sitting in traffic I don’t make any money. All those whiners need to drink a nice tall glass of get over yourself!.

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  10. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Keep us posted.

austinmike Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Stick with it for 6 months or so and move on if you not satisfied. Plenty of other companies will be glad to take you on at that time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.