First load

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GrizzlyCan2011, Apr 17, 2014.

1. GrizzlyCan2011

GrizzlyCan2011 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Blanchard, LA
    Well made it through final week at mcelroy and at my first shipper for the night, no thanks to my gps, luckily there was a group of truckers nearby that showed me where to go. On my dispatch it said appointment between 0700 - 1700 so didn't know if that meant I had to call before hand or be there between 7 and 5. But when I got one of the workers told me to park on the side of the road by the gate so no one will cut me. My only concern is I see no guard shack where I'd pick up my bill of lading, guessing someone will direct me in the morning. Just hope everything goes smooth.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GrizzlyCan2011

GrizzlyCan2011 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Blanchard, LA
    And also hope my Qualcomm straightens up in the morning, I've been in sleeper for 2 hours and it says like -00:10 on my DOT.

4. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    there is a time when your 14 is out and you have not yet had a 10 break. Right now it has been 14 hours and 10 min since u started your day. Once ur 10 break is complete you will have hours.

As for finding customer, always look for local directions. If you need to, call customer and ask how to get there from the nearest highway. relying on GPS or qualcome 100% will get you in to trouble, and ultimately end your career.

5. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    You don't have to call when you have an appointment window. Just be there between those times. Also, once you've been off duty or in the sleeper for 10 hours your clock will reset your 14 and 11. Good job getting your load there incident free!

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Going into unfamiliar locations in the dark is always an adventure. Things will look so much different in the light of day then you remembered them going in the night before. Most/many places will have signage directing truckers where to "check in" once you get inside the facility (at the correct entrance for truckers) if not, use your best gut judgement on where to go. Once you find someone who may be who you're looking for, be polite and apologetic if you're unsure you're at the right place. Tell them this is your first time here and they often take a more understanding tone right away. Never check in with shipping/receiving with any sort of "attitude" even if things get very frustrating, very fast.

Also, if your truck's Qualcomm is set up like most, you can move the truck a short distance, perhaps up to a 1/4 mile or more, slowly, and not have it automatically move the status to driving (leaving you in the sleeper) (if this is to your advantage and needed) in case they ask you to move to another area to unload/load before your 10 break is completed.

bergy and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  7. RevKev

RevKev Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    Congrats, Griz! As already said, when it's an appointment window, just get there anytime in that window. If you get a load assignment with a set time, it may be an appointment, but sometimes not, depending on the customer. Just call your fleet manager & he/she can tell you if it's a set time or not, or even if they take you early. Congrats again!

8. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    If you have a computer it is safer to go to maps.google.com and map where you are going. You can zoom in and see where the docks are, etc. Watch for railroad tracks, residential areas, etc. Sometimes you might even find the place is not on the map where it says it should be, even GPS will pick it up wrong. GPS is great but only if you have the real picture I think. Google maps is not truck safe though, so do not rely on it getting you into places like Chicago, Lexington, NY, etc without checking for low bridges in the area.

Findfuelstops.com is another good tool to use on the internet also for finding fuelstops along the way. Be sure to make a user account, click on stations and bring up another tab each time and it will also list other places in the area like Walmart, be sure to check first for parking at any of them though.

Good luck. Don't forget to take your 1/2 hr break also/\

davetiow Thanks this.
  9. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    My first solo run with Stevens Transport from Amarillo got screwed up when IBP (now Tyson) assigned two loads to the same trailer number. I took off with the wrong trailer. Had to swap in Lubbock.

10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Aahhhh, the adventure begins. A strange city, narrow roads, missing street signs, pretty dark, no signage for the shipper, or a very small sign or even worse, a small sign mixed in with about 12 other signs for that complex. Do you enter the gate, (once you find it) or, do you park outside and walk to the guard shack to check in ? This is where a CB comes in handy. My advice : never be afraid to let others know you're there for the first time. 99.9 % of drivers will help you.

Wild Murphy and wore out Thank this.
  11. cardinals1970

cardinals1970 Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2013
    New Albany, IN
    Don't you just love the smell at that place lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.