First oversize.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by SavageMuffin, Apr 7, 2018.

1. SavageMuffin

SavageMuffin Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    So, haven’t been flatbedding long and I’m getting my first oversize load Monday. 10’ wide Steel plate. Obviously it’s not that oversize or nothing compared to what a lot of y’all haul but I’m pretty stoked about it. Ask and I shall receive it seems.

jamespmack, Lepton1, Oxbow and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Where to where?

jamespmack and Oxbow Thank this.
  4. SavageMuffin

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Read the fine print on the KY permit. There are quite a few Metro curfews Mon-Fri. Smooth sailing in Ms and Tn.

Luck in battle.

6. SavageMuffin

Jan 11, 2018
    MS
    Will do. Thanks chiming in.

7. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    Everybody’s gotta start somewhere. Good luck

jamespmack, OLDSKOOLERnWV, SAR and 7 others Thank this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Lots of guys don't do this, but I do...

Before moving, I read the permit. First rule in OSOW.

Some permits will list the curfews on the permit.

Some permits will have you sign the permit stating that you are familiar with that State' OSOW regulations as brought out in XYZ123. Are you gonna sign that if you don't know what XYZ123 is? Lots of guys do. I don't. I'm going to find out what XYZ123 is before I sign anything stating that I am familiar and understand the regs brought out by XYZ123.

Some states will have on the permit something saying that that permit is not valid without XYZ123 attached.

If you're going to pull OSOW, don't be one of those "gotta go,gotta go, gotta go" guys, who are in such a rush that they put their oversized banner on upside down and go speeding down the road. The very basic in successful trucking, "Truckin 101" is TRIP PLANNING. How in the hell do you trip plan a permitted load without becoming familiar with the permit and the provisions of the State/Province? We had a guy get caught with a wind blade by the black and whites in Tarrant County Texas, at 0800 once. Any driver that knows his stuff is cringing right now. Big load, TWO pilot cars Ft Worth Texas in rush hour.

"But Six, it was my first blade!"

Correction, it was your LAST blade.

"But Six, why didn't the pilot cars catch that mistake...?"

Are you going to put your life in the hands of a pilot car that you do not know? They're not the ones who are going to get ticketed. First rule in OSOW is what?

Had a guy pulling an OSOW through Florida. Had a brand new pilot car and he was showing the pilot car the ropes. Crossed a scale at 1230 Saturday afternoon.
    What's the first rule in OSOW? Can anyone tell me?

Friend, I am not trying to spook you or scare you. I just want you to do the basics on every permitted load. What is the first thing you do when you get loaded and get your permits?

You have a good group of guys here. Some of the permits may be written in lawyerspeak, and can be a bit difficult to understand. Some of the guys are really fast to respond, like @johndeere4020 and @m16ty...if you have a permit question and no one responds, flag one of these guys down and see if they can help.

9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    It would also be a good idea to get a current copy of the Yellow book. A good part of the tool kit. While not the end to be all, they do have good info and all the contact numbers and websites you will need.

10. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    You should also view a state's general provisions if they have such a document. It will usually answer any other questions you might have about flags/lights/curfews etc.

jamespmack, Lepton1, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  11. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Listen to TripleSix.

Read your route plan and check the route. I recently hauled a 15'10 tall surge tank from SA to Kermit, Tx. TxDot gave me my route plan, and getting out of SA wasnt too bad. Got to Junction, Tx which I know well, and it tells me to take a certain exit, then roll north to a state highway, thst runs me all the way west, but back down to I-10. Well someone with TxPros screwed up and had me go 1 exit too far. I came up on a 15'11 bridge. I literally stopped on I-10 and inched under that bridge. Im convinced that if Id have gone under at 65, Id have smacked the bridge.

That whole load was a #####, and I'm pretty sure it gave me ptsd because I get nervous under lower height bridges now lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.