First, protect yourself.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Over the hill, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Over the hill

Over the hill Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2007
    I am a forcibly retired trucker who unfortunately learned too late the price of being a company man. I used to brag how I could stay in the seat for hours and hours, only stopping for the occasional bathroom break. I would drive all day and the lay down for a couple of hours and then right back to it. I made good money, don't get me wrong. I even insisted on getting the longest run on the board. Now I'm in constant pain and can no longer pass the CDL physical. The damage I did to myself is lifelong and incurable. I did the worst thing drivers can do. I never stopped and got out of the truck and just walked around for a few minutes. I don't care how expensive a seat you have in your truck, your doing harm to the bundle of nerves located in the small of your back everytime you take a bounce. Sitting in one position for hours at a time, days at a time without breaking the cycle will destroy these nerves over time. I now have what is called Bilateral Poly-Neuropathy, It's in both of my feet and now moving into my hands. I swing from near total numbness to excruciating pain everyday. This is a common problem in severe diabetics which I am not. I put off going to the Doctor because of fear of what he would say. Now it's beyond repair. If you start feeling "tingling" in your hands or feet after long stretches behind the wheel, stop, get out, and walk, walk, walk. Just around the truck will do, but, don't ignore this warning sign. I now take eight pills, twice a day and it will only get worse. I started falling over small things because I thought I had raised my feet enough to step over them, but, tripped instead. Never, never never sacrafice your health for a dispatcher who will forget your name a day after you have to retire. Take care of yourself so, you can take care of your family.

Lil Joe Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. yevgeniyv.1980

yevgeniyv.1980 Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Poconos,PA
    That's right!First comes health and then loads.
    Hope You feel better.

4. mikroos5

mikroos5 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Mass.
    sorry to hear about your health problems,hope things get better.As for the invaluable infomation its sad it takes someones pain and suffering to maybe get the point across.becouse I was guilty of running the same wayfor many years.I don't run that way anymore just not worth it

5. Over the hill

Over the hill Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Thanks, I just know that what happened to me will never be brought up in a safety meeting. The company will deny ever asking you to run that hard. And, to tell the truth it was my responsibility to look after my own health. Bad thing is, I can't do any work that requires time on my feet. Try finding that kind of job listed in the paper. My Doctor was able to get me on disability, thank God. Just remember when your feet or hands go to sleep, it's your bodies telling you to MOVE! No load was worth the pain I have now.

6. Silverfrost1

Silverfrost1 Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Sorry to hear of your illness. With back problems it can be chronic but somewhat manageable. Don't give up hope just yet. You may make a recovery. Maybe not to the point of being 18 years old again, but better than now.

7. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    I must say Iam sorry that you have to go thru this...but I also must say THANK YOU for sharing this with us!

YOU just may help a few driver's and WOW! I can't thank you enough for posting this.

I hope you will find some relief and peace within your body.

8. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Bobtail Member

Another thing - the old school drivers thought you were a wimp if you refused to jump off of a trailer or dock and instead eased your way down or used the stairs or a ladder. Many (most?) of them now are walking around on metal knee joints and/or suffering back problems! That abuse does add up over time. One old (dating back to horse draw wagons!)trucking company I know of went bankrupt ten years ago when their workmen's comp insurance rates hit 1/3 of the payroll! They worked their guys hard and as they got 50+ many were suffering work related injuries...

9. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Iam telling ya...it get's crazy when alot of things are happening at once too at a busy terminal.

We just had an incident where an employee on a fork lift backing out of a trailer up to the dock ran over one of the supervisor's walking by.

The guy on the fork lift was going way to fast and not watching what he was doing and the supervisor had his head some where besides watching where he was walking.

Needless to say...He's in the hospital...but ok...and expecting a full recovery after bones heal. SIGH!

10. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    First I would like to say thank you to the original poster, I am one who pushes myself and I really should stretch more then what I do now. Your post now will be in my mind and hopefully it will help me make changes..
    Thank you

11. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    we as truck drivers sometimes do forget to take care of ourselves first. we seem to put the load or the company ahead of our own well being. many times, a newbie driver will be intimidated by the dispatch office, and will just up and do as he is told to do so, at his own personal risk, only to have the dispatcher say something like, "well he was supposed to be a professional, he should have known better".

i to this day, still see "pot-bellied" truckers that can't even get out of the cab, lest get into one without some sort of struggle. that's terrible. not taking care of one's self.

i too am sorry to hear about your health problem, and i can only hope that you will have more better days than bad ones.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.