First run tomorrow

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Ironwindow, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Ironwindow

Ironwindow Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2019
    Winston Salem, NC
    I had to tow a highway barrier truck off 85 in ATL once. It took me 3 hours to go 2 miles. I prayed I'd never have to do that again...

As luck would have it, we leave Duncan at 3pm...thats just enough time to get into ATL at 530! And people wonder why I don't play the lottery :p

tscottme and homeskillet Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I carry 5 things.

1. Duffel bag with clothes long enough to last

2. Smaller bag with pills, hygiene, flip flops for showering, also car and house chargers

3. Food bag. Consists mostly of protein cold food or microwaveable beef soup type stuff

4. Pack of like 24-30 water bottles. I can drink 5 on a difficult securing/tarping load in the heat

5. Tool bag. Saved me countless times

austinmike, 86scotty and Truckermania Thank this.
  4. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    What company are you going with out of Duncan? Good luck on your first trip.

5. Ironwindow

Mar 1, 2019
    Winston Salem, NC
    Averitt

runningman0661 Thanks this.
  6. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Have fun driver. Getting out on the road in a rig with freight in it and doing the job for the first time is pretty exciting. I remember the first few times....barely. It's not going to sink in until you're alone. Enjoy it......but don't call a friend.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Chattanooga has a particular ridge to the east of it on the interstate. It's a relatively steep hill. The reason why that one matters is that routinely fog thick enough to kill bury that whole mountain some mornings and afternoons. They have systems in place for warning for ice fog (This is fun... your rig is going to dance in this one.) and a number of other problems.

There was or should still be a little diner downtown with room for maybe 6 trucks. If you stop there, do not let anyone pester you. (Street Bums, panhandlers and bullies etc) that's why they hang out there waiting for you to pull in then pester you for everything and disrespect your need to do work in the cab. Call the law and have them scraped off.

You will have a glorious spring and a hot summer to get used to everything before winter sets in. Bring chain. Even though they don't do chain in the east, you will want to have them to do battle there.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You are going to be with a "trainer" for a week, just travel very light, don't bother getting much in the way of food. Bring some clothes for a daily change and one extra set just in case, and go light on food. Once you are done and settled in, then get your routines in place to do the right things and start stocking up a couple days at a time.

Oh and don't eat crap. Get good food that won't drag you down.

austinmike Thanks this.
  9. Ironwindow

Mar 1, 2019
    Winston Salem, NC
    I don't have much say so in that department :p I've got a rare blood disease and am very limited on what I can and can not eat.

Fortunately cheeseburgers and candy bars is on the "can not" list.

austinmike Thanks this.
  10. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Uh oh. You didn't mention that first. You'll never make it in trucking. :D

jammer910Z Thanks this.
  11. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Biggest thing I think is to set up your truck to where it fits you. What I mean is adjust the seat, mirrors, and steering wheel how you like it. Also don't get in a hurry. I know its easy to try to act confident to impress a trainer, but thats when you mess up. Just chill out and enjoy yourself.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.