First Solo Trip in My First Truck

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jmarc77, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Yah, it’s mind boggling..dangerous advice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Boondock

Boondock Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2019
    Congratulations and good luck!!!

4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Get that CB with your first paycheck if you can. Yeah its not "NEEDED" like it used to be years ago, but it can still save your life or the life of someone else.

Having mine has saved me massive amounts of time by alearting me to traffic accidents or other traffic delays before I could see them. This info often allowed me to detour around what in some cases ended up being a 6+ hour traffic delay. And it most definetally has saved me from at least serious injury once or twice, by alerting me to a wreck that was less than 2 miles infront of me in a major blizzard.

5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Or something as simple as letting a guy know about a light out or a side box not closed etc.

6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Yep, and since the OP is going into flatbed it could also inform him of a strap or chain that has come loose and is dragging or flapping in the wind.

7. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Or, "hey northbound flatbed, truck broken down right lane around the corner about a mile ahead"

Or what i heard, " hey flatbed, you got some bags fixing to fall in the back"

Yeah, CB's are useless...

8. jmarc77

jmarc77 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2021
    Thanks. Its been hectic lately, going from school to orientation to being with a trainer to getting into my own truck, there hasn't been much downtime or any chance to get into a routine. I'm home this weekend which is good because I had some homesickness setting in, so it was good to come home and see family and the pets. My company guarantees weekly hometime if I want it, so orientation and my time out with my trainer should've been the longest I'll ever have to be away from home.

I used it a handful of times while I was with my trainer- southbound 75, you got a parking lot at the x mile marker, get in the left lane"

We got slightly lost in one of the shippers we went to and radioed to the scale house and got directions. Saved us a long walk back and forth. Required? No. Useful? Absolutely.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Radio probably saved a few folks.

tscottme, Numb, Boondock and 1 other person Thank this.
  10. TooTiredToTalk

TooTiredToTalk Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2022
    I follow closely and try to learn from a few of the old school drivers like this with advice. I say a few because I've also learned that not all those old school drivers are as intelligent or respectable as I once thought :( A CB is still very handy indeed, even though unfortunately the whole new era of drivers don't have one or even use them. I wanted the one I have put into my truck, but it wouldn't work because my mic is plugged into the side and so it isn't compatible with the truck. This CB they happened to have on hand, sucks. But also when I asked for them to install mine originally, the OPS manager told me there was no need for one, but whatever....it was my choice.

Dennixx and Concorde Thank this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

What's the phone number of the truck that just passed you?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.