First tanker job

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mr. EastCoast, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Mr. EastCoast

Mr. EastCoast Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2020
    I will be starting my first tanker job in march. Any tips you guys could give me.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    What kind of tanker? Just take your time from driving to everything else. Learn to do your hookups/ unhooks the same way every time. If something doesn't seem right, stop.
    I would tell the people where I went that I was new at tank and they were always helpful. They don't want any spills either.

4. Mr. EastCoast

Mr. EastCoast Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Chemical’s

REO6205 and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    That's what I run. The surge will slam you around at first,but you will learn to mitigate it, most of the time. From acceleration to the curves, it's slow and steady.
    I wouldn't do anything else.

6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    @kemosabi49 gave you some good advice and I'd agree with it. Get the right amount of the right stuff in the right place. Tanker work is the most unforgiving kind of trucking I've ever done but with some thought and a great deal of focus you'll be fine.
    Almost everyone you work with---shipper, receivers, techs, fellow employees will answer any questions you have. Be sure to ask questions.
    Nobody will expect you to do things fast but they will expect you to do things right.

7. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    YOU Are The Most Important Part Of Any Load!!

Just passing by and Mr. EastCoast Thank this.
  8. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Just remember , unlike a van, flatbed etc. that trailer doesn't move unless you have paperwork. Such as a washout slip, a BOL or a last contained BOL. It doesn't matter if it's empty, or loaded.

9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Get used to a lot of tank wash time

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I drove 20 plus years in dry van. The surge can feel like you got hit by a freight train when you fisrt start moving unless you start very slowly and smoothly. At very low speeds, like when you first start moving, the surge is not dangerous. Slam the "gas pedal" down and the surge will feel horrible, but it's not unsafe.

The main thing is you never want to make hard stops and radical steering inputs at the same time. You can make a straight ahead panic stop and "survive" the surge. but you cannot assume you can make a panic brake and turn at the same time unless you want to roll the truck. For off-ramps, even the slowest ones I would just get slowed to the ramp speed before the ramp started to curve. Lots of tanker drivers say always be under the speed posted at the curve or under it. When you start slow to 5 under the posted yellow sign advising the safe speed and you can always go faster in curves after you get experience. The 48 foot liquid tanker is easier to back and it is easier to see behind you while backing than a 48 or 53 foot trailer.

Follow your product delivery connection and disconnection procedures every time. Almost all of my experience with HazMat liquid was with phosphoric acid using an "air-off" procedure. That means I used air pressure from my truck or the customer's air system to blow air into the trailer and that air pressure forces the liquid product out of the trailer. Almost every load was loaded by the same customer at their facility and on their scale so I seldom did anything but wait for loading to be completed before walking around to check if I was ready to roll. Always check everything at least twice and always listen to the little voice if something doesn't seem right.

The customers in hauling tankers are a real step-up compared to the worthless and brutal customers in dry van and reefer. Tanker customers don't usually get 300 tanker per day and schedule all 300 to show up at 6 am, like other customers. Many customers have overnight parking for you and almost all of them treat you like a human being instead of a stray dog with an infectious disease.

My biggest fear was I would not do well handling the slosh or surge of the liquid. If you drive like a DOT officer is riding with you you cannot screw up in tankers. Respect all speed signs, especially on curves (slow before you turn), and enjoy not getting cussed out by a customer simply because you brought the stuff they ordered. Some of them even do all of the work unloading. Tanker isn't as rushed and frantic as van and reefer, and it pays more. Oh tank washes make a crowded Pilot look like an empty pasture. When backing under a 48 ft liquid trailer the king pin is right at the nose of the trailer. On 53 ft trailer the trailer knocks your 5th wheel plate to level and you keep backing until you connect. On a tanker you first touch it with your 5th wheel plate and connect about an inch later. It took me a bit to get used to that. Check your seals and your dome lid everyday.

11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Don't plan on sleeping on the shoulders if on/off-ramps if you are hauling HazMat

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.