First time through Atlanta

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Sheck, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Sheck

Sheck Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2019
    I have to drive through Atlanta for the first time and I hear it can be a nightmare. Is there anything I should know about it? I heard something about not driving through the loop or something. What does that mean? Is there traffic all day? I’m driving from Amarillo tx to savannah Georgia, is there a way to avoid Atlanta without adding a lot of miles and time? Any tips would be much appreciated

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. qbertsrevenge

qbertsrevenge Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Metro Atlanta
    I drove through Atlanta in either morning or afternoon rush hour traffic every working day for a year. Just know which lane you need to be in and get there a couple miles ahead of time, expect drivers to do the stupidest thing possible and you'll be just fine. The worst traffic is from about 6:30-9:30am in the morning and 3:30pm-7pm in the evening. Good luck, be safe driver.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  4. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Yeah stay on the 285 loop unless you actually have to make a stop inside it. Unbelievable but they are known to ticket through trucks using the interstate routes inside the loop. Seems ridiculous to me but true.

5. Sheck

Sheck Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2019
    Ok thanks guys. As long as I stay on the loop I won’t get a ticket right?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    I don’t think it’s that bad but ya it’s not open road easy breezy ... there is the 285 loop that goes all the way AROUND Atlanta not through Atlanta. It’s 62 miles from start to finish. Just jump on that and you will be ok. Inside the loop simply means you are going strait through Atlanta not AROUND it on that 285 loop. It will be I 20 east to 285 south to the I 75 south and then down to Macon GA where you will catch the 16 south all the way to Savanah.

Eowyn and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. Sheck

Sheck Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2019
    Right on thanks for the info

8. Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Trucks are not allowed to drive inside of the 285 beltway. Stay on 285. Unfortunately, Amarillo to Savannah does require a pass through in Atlanta, but you’ll be coming in from 20 east to 75 south, which is one of the easier, less traffic snarled corridors in Atlanta. Try to pass though between 10:00 and 13:00 if you can.

86scotty and dosgatos Thank this.
  9. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    While on 285 do not travel on the left lane. Trucks must use two right lanes. Or you might get a tkt.

10. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    10-4 good buddy

11. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    I think the only way to avoid it is to stay on 40 to Asheville, NC. Then 26S to 95S. Adds about 190 miles. Probably not worth it.

Try to time your driving to come through Atlanta at Nighttime if you aren't solar powered.

Truckermania Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.