First time with no governor

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Gulf, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Gulf

Gulf Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    And I've been driving 15 years. I can see I'll need to be careful about tickets of course, but I have really enjoyed a few things so far.

1. Breaking out of a pack of slow trucks all tied up together

2. When passing a car, and they start to speed up, I just speed up also. They get confused. Then I get in front of them and slow back down like they were doing to me. There are also truck drivers that do this. Usually on the phone, then speed up when I get next to them but I just step it on and blow right past them and then slow back down and will speed up and not let them pass me, if I'm in a bad mood.

3. And it's great just having those shackles off though I usually go about 70 in a 75. I have taken it up to 90 but could have easily gone beyond that.

4. I also don't have all those proximity alarms and buzzers going off for the first time in I don't know how many years.

But I would warn less experienced drivers that this is no reason to become an O/O and not the reason I did it.

steve092, austinmike, 86scotty and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I usually hang back from the gaggle of trucks till they’ve sorted their stuff out - much safer than getting in the mix.

I’ll travel the speed limit if time is an issue, if not, then 67 usually allows me to keep a good pocket of space, until I either catch up to, or am caught by - speed governed trucks.

I use it when passing speed governed trucks to reduce the time spent doing so - mash on it till I’m 4 or 5 lengths ahead, before moving right. This reduces lines of speeding cars getting frustrated.

“Speed safely “

Feedman, bzinger, MartinFromBC and 6 others Thank this.
  4. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Most trucks should be ungoverned on the foot. It is far safer for everyone on the road for someone who has 64 on the cruise is trying to pass someone with 62-63 on the cruise just to put their foot into it and get around nice and quick.

5. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I would probably go crazy in a governed truck. A guy moves over for a breakdown or to let traffic merge from the on ramp and then cant get back over. Oh just slow down and fall back in they say. Except for the fact everyone behind them now shoots around on the right also regardless of the little blinking light. See it all the time.

dhellmer, PoleCrusher, Lepton1 and 8 others Thank this.
  6. towmantater

towmantater Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Half the time they don't even move over for me and I've got full light bars on the roof with a car on the back.

7. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    Happens to me all the time even though I keep myself in the right lane in most cases and just slow down some if I'm in heavyish traffic

8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I would caution you about going 70 or higher. I do it sometimes if the load needs it, but I don’t like it because I have to pass lots of vehicles and it’s a challenge to keep a good following distance. Right lane changes and following distance are among the top 5 most common accidents according to a major company I used to work for. They also said that major accidents are caused mostly by experienced drivers.

On another note, speed ratings on semi tires are typically 75 or 72. You can find this info on the side of the tire or on the manufacturer’s website.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Governed trucks are a liability particularly when stupid companies fix a range of speeds between 55 to 64 or so on highways bearing 75-85 mph limits. *Ours is still 70 as posted but we are by law now a 75 state with 65 on two lane rural state roads.

Long ago when no one had governors, we sorted with fast to the front, slows to the caboose and everyone else in the rocking chair. No problems really. Split speed limit states were actually much more of a problem until they were removed in the late 90's and we are still enduring company set splits.

And finally my favorite parting shot. We got 5 mpg 40 years ago and we still scratch on 7 today thinking that's the bees knees on piles of emissions crap and computer stuff.

Dino soar and austinmike Thank this.
  10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I remember hearing that some companies have some sort of feature that allows drivers to drive past their governed speed for a short period of time, and it is meant to facilitate passing other vehicles. Companies should add this new feature to reduce traffic congestion and stress!

Dino soar and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. Biomagnum

Biomagnum Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    I had an ungoverned truck that would do anything I asked of it. I used it to stay in an area of safety on the hiway and to stay out of the Wolfpacks and away from the crazies, not to speed. It also seemed to breathe better and had more ability to pull the hills.
    My current truck is governed at 77 on pedal, 75 on cruise and is able to do so just about the same.

x1Heavy, Dino soar and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.