Fifth wheel position

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by feldsforever, Dec 15, 2019.

1. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    Hi,
    I have been running the last year or so with the Fitfh wheel as close to the cab as possible. I spoke with someone on Friday that suggested this should not be a full time idea. I'm traveling in a 2014 Cascadia,
    Can I get some feeb back on this?

The reason I do it is because, In any other position backing is super sincetive. The driver I spoke with had mentioned different positions may have slightly better fuel mileage plus as well as the tires may last longer. Any info would be great thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    As long as your weights are legal, why would it matter? Dragging a van around, closer to the cab is beneficial.

4. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    I do scale when ever I question a load weight. I've been close but not over.

Thank you for your response

5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    the 5th wheel should be centered over your drive axles, just slightly forward of the center. You just have had a load up near legal on the gross weight.

6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

The answer will differ from truck to truck. You just have to scale the truck when you are loaded heavy. Then you will know where you can legally place your 5th wheel. If you are legal with your 5th wheel all the way forward, that would be great for fuel economy as it closes the gap between the truck and the trailer, reducing air drag.

It’s also good to know that if you need to slide your 5th wheel while loaded, then drop the landing gear first to take off a little bit of weight off the 5th wheel. This will make sliding much easier.

MACK E-6 and Roberts450 Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It does not really matter.

What you want is that 5th wheel to be in a sweet spot of balance with harmony regarding weight. That tractor has a spot where the front of the 53 foot reefer or van is about in line vertically with the front of the first axle drive tires (24.5 talls which will put them about a inch or two ahead of the low pro 20's) right about there is really good.

The only way any improvement in fuel mileage will come with the what I call a generation 4 evolution of areodymaics when additional vanes and dams are installed on both the tractor protecting and covering that catwalk space and the trailer reaching ahead of itself at the top like a airplane wing to keep the airflow from getting down in between. And even then it's only about a .7 mile to gallon imrpovement large fleets will see big money in that, but one or two trucks fleets wont see that much. A few dollars worth maybe.

If the 5th wheel is too far forward or too far back then the tires have to fight more to make the traction happen or have too much traction taken away and so start to skate across or under or over steer way too much. And it will show up in abnormal wear soon enough. Generally 12500 on the steer 34K and 34K for 5 axles standard CMV design is perfect for the tires and they don't mind a shift now and then a little this way or that. But not constant. Like everything else.

8. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    If you like the way the truck is handling, not over weight on the steers when loading your heaviest loads, and not damaging the truck or trailer then why move it?

Bean Jr., HoneyBadger67 and PE_T Thank this.
  9. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Also makes it easier to get the trailer hung up on your drives, high centering your trailer. I have gone after several that were hung up, having to lift the rear of the trailer to get them going. Others on here that have any wrecker experience Iam sure have run into the same problem.

10. MagicMan22

MagicMan22 Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2019

I agree 100%. Sliding your tandems will control your weight. Centered is best for ride

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2019
    I always ran my fifth wheel all the way forward..just don't get crazy with jacking your trailer..
    It's a real pain to move it if you don't lubricate it often.
    Put it fully forward and leave it alone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.