Fitzgerald? Not sure what to do with aging truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by IH Branded, Sep 4, 2018.

1. IH Branded

IH Branded Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Great Lakes area
    No I'm not looking to get a new truck because of rates - its just probably time. Have a single turbo Cat with 1,100,000 miles. Just stuck new clutch and turbo in it a couple months ago. Gets 5.8 to 6.2 on its best week. Have a 2013 Cummins got 7.5 for the whole month of August. (had to overhaul at 350,000 from carbon rings - thought 2013 was supposed to be safe.)
    I like the old Cat. But not nearly as economical. Its a day cab though and the guys would like a sleeper for ride and break each day. I'm thinking of setting the Cat off to the side before I need to overhaul it because then I'd have to keep it longer yet. Probably last forever yet as a farm truck. I suppose I could swap it for a Detroit but never had one of them but then still have the day cab. Afraid they'd be doggy from what we are used to.
    Could overhaul it when the time comes too but that isn't going to change the mpg any.
    Don't know what to do. It Dynoed a year ago 600 hp. to the wheels and 5.5 on the vacuum ( was told when at 7 needs overhaul.)
    Could just lease a brand new one too and if it turns out to be a good truck buy it at the end of the lease.

Any thoughts??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    About 6 isn't bad out of a cat especially at that sort of miles and it's never been apart, I'd overhaul it to the same specs it's at now and have a pretty good idea what you have. If you're looking to replace it with a glider, just guessing from what you've given for information. You could get an n14 and they will get you about 7 or so tuned right. I have no idea what a Detroit really would get you for mileage, I wouldn't get one simply because you see 12.7s pushing 500 horse compared to a 14 or a little better, just seems too many potential problems to me.

Rideandrepair and IH Branded Thank this.
  4. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    If 500 horses out of a 12.7 is pushing it, then many guys are in deep doodoo.

5. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    It's probably fine, but to my hillbilly ### it seems sketchy to try getting the same horse out of a smaller motor.

Rideandrepair, Oxbow, bigguns and 2 others Thank this.
  6. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Agree. 15.2 is 928 cubic in engine. 12.7 is 775 cu.in. Quite a difference. Not sure where the hp limit or torque limts are but they are both great engines. 5.8 to 6 mpg is my fair average for my c-15. Winter less. Have pitts power box , smooth flow exhaust manifold, and larger turbo. No waste gate. But I run it easy. Not how fast I pull the hill, its how many times. ( without breakdowns =$$).

7. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    You probably already know..but want to say, if you do decide to let truck go. Don't let that engine go for cheap. They are in demand. Read somewhere that the "good" engine blocks are getting hard to find.

Rideandrepair and IH Branded Thank this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Many of the 12.7L Detroits were factory 500hp. Not pushing anything there.

Dave_in_AZ, stwik, magoo68 and 5 others Thank this.
  9. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Yea and they last as long as a c15 doing it too it seems, like I said I don't know much about them.

Oxbow and bigguns Thank this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That's good ol' GM engineering at work there.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. Milr72

Milr72 Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    S W Missouri
    If my memory serves right, that engine was originally designed by John Deere. Then GM acquired it and fine tuned it with the help of some of Penske's money.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.