Fix or buy new steer axle?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Bigrigmayo93, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Bigrigmayo93

Bigrigmayo93 Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Chicago Illinois
    03 w900 with a c15. 830k miles. Firestone 11r24.5 steer tires.
    Tires were pretty much brand new when I bought the truck a little over 2 years ago. Not too long ago it started pulling to the right. & my steer tires started to wear on the right side edges.
    And I got a pretty bad vibration, shake, jump at about 55mph. Only when I accelerate but goes away once I get to 60 mph

I went to an alignment shop, they said I need kingpins

The alignment shop recommended a mechanic shop down the street.
    They told me I need to get the axle fixed.
    If I change just the kingpins then I would have play again sooner rather than later.

So I went to the mechanic I usually go to for everything. He recommends getting a new axle. Or used, but new to me. From a newer truck 2012-2013. He told me they have a different measurement. I believe he measured the middle of the axle & said it was 33 in. He said the newer ones are 34 in & said those are better.

Since I know nothing about axles I’m just taking advice from mechanics, so I’m really confused & not sure what to do.

Looking for any advice.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Why did they say you need a new axle?

4. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    How are the springs?

5. Bigrigmayo93

Nov 28, 2016
    Chicago Illinois
    Something about the top where the kingpin goes thru, being welded.
    Something the previous owner did.
    He said maybe they did it so I wouldn’t change just the kingpins again. Kind of it being the end of it’s life..
    If that makes any sense..

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. Bigrigmayo93

Nov 28, 2016
    Chicago Illinois
    They’re fine. But I was planning on changing the bushings.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  7. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    The reason I asked is a weak spring will make the truck pull. Maybe they welded the grease caps on, there triangular in shape and have a zerk fitting. You can rebush an axle but once it's out of factory rated specs it's scrap metal.

x1Heavy and Bigrigmayo93 Thank this.
  8. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Welding on a steer axle would be a big no,no.

Play it safe and get a replacement.

If in doubt send a photo to axle surgeons to get a second opinion on repair or replace options. I have had them add shim stock to a steer axle that had been run with the pin loose in the axle. The hole was oblong. Most likely this is what someone was trying to do with the welder in the first place.

9. Bigrigmayo93

Nov 28, 2016
    Chicago Illinois
    They are original.
    & that’s exactly what it looks like. It’s around the grease cap. I was thinking that was nothing serious.
    I assume that’s why it’s better to just change the axle? Instead of rebushing it.
    I was also told I can just change the kingpins & run it for as long as it can but I don’t want to spend the money on kingpins & new tires just to replace them within a year.
    I just want to do it right.

10. Bigrigmayo93

Nov 28, 2016
    Chicago Illinois
    Yeah I’m leaning more towards a replacement. Just wasnt sure if a used one would be ok. Or if I can just buy a brand new one.

11. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I would price a new beam. Never know what your gonna get with used..........twisted, bent, million mile piece of scrap iron? Lotta work to do it again, especially if your paying the labor and not DIY.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.