Flatbed driver looking for a change.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Stone Dude, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Stone Dude

Stone Dude Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Iowa
    I've been with Maverick for going on 2 years now, and I've had mostly good experiences with them, but I'm reaching the point where I'm tired of flatbed. Tired of the 8' lumber tarps, both having to carry them to the top of a mixed Home Depot load to having to roll them up. Tired of picking up loads that are literally the customer throwing more and more product on my deck until they fill the trailer and then telling me to pull over to that gravel lot and figure out how to strap it down. Oh, and make sure it's tarped too. Maverick has a reefer division that I'd love to transfer over too, but sadly the hiring area for that is smaller than the flatbed hiring area and I live outside it. So if I want something other than flatbed I'm gonna have to move along.

So now I'm left wondering what else is out there? I've got 21 months here with no incidents so I'm pretty sure I could get hired by a lot of places.I could go pull a reefer for Prime or some other mega, but I imagine there have to be better gigs than that out there, but I don't know where to look. Anyone got any advice on how to start looking?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Pull tankers for W.W. Transport.
    W.W. TRANSPORT INC.
    Corporate Office
    701 E. Mt. Pleasant Street
    West Burlington, IA 52655
    This company also has flatbed, heavy haul, reefers, tankers, end dumps.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. Stone Dude

Stone Dude Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Iowa
    Hmmm... have to check them out. Thanks.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Liquid Trucking
    Omaha,NE
    [​IMG]

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    What's you're preferred driving style and home time needs and preferences? You like to run and gun, running nearly "max miles" every week, or do you like to loaf around much of the time? Doing flatbed so long, you may not have sufficient "work ethic" to meet stringent reefer appointments, typically on both ends, trip after trip. Can/will you drive 1,900 miles in 3 full days in a 65 mph truck?

bryan21384, already gone and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    F93D8F5F-E13E-4340-8872-838CDE640371.jpeg Ivan’s super fast delivery service.

intrepidor, stwik, Lepton1 and 3 others Thank this.
  8. already gone

already gone Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Western New York

This is an excellent point, and one reason i prefer flatbed/steel hauling. Id rather put some sweat into the load and drive 250 miles, 600 miles at a time drives me nuts, i have to get out and move around.

I learned this the hard way, after years of listening to other people's ideas of what a good job is.

Op, where is your location?

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  9. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    What about Glass division? If you live near Dewitt, you can land a ded gig and don't have to tarp beside roll tarps. I believe it's a regional thing.

Duski and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I saw one of the nicest tanker truck combo I've ever saw last night. The name was.
    High pressure transport. Like the truck and trailer just came from the showroom. Bad new is. Anhydrous outfit.

11. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Going so fast, it’s going to take three days for the trailer to catch up.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.