Flatbed miles

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Gabe2790, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Gabe2790

Gabe2790 Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2020
    I'm going to be starting a regional flatbed gig in the next few weeks. Curious about what miles you run per week, assuming they are available of course.
    Thanks all!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    My last flatbed involved two kinds generally. One was Houston Pipe East to Jacksonville Fla on 10 and chains, cable west for months. The other kind involved Aluminum from Logan Co Ky to Busch in Williamsburg VA to make into cans JIT overnight. Today's ELD would never accept such a run and back. These were done in paper logs. I suppose if ELD today would be more of a team Coils down empty back asap. Coils daily every morning. And so the miles take care of itself.

What I did not like is overnight flatbed while waiting all day at the mill after deadheading hours. Its inefficient. all that time wasted waiting cut into the miles each week.

Gabe2790 and clausland Thank this.
  4. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Its hard to flatbed more than 450 a day consistently on the east coast m-f with 1 day runs. A lot of hours can go into appointments, tarping and traffic that dont stack up on the odometer. Dont take a CPM job that doesnt pay for the things that will steal your CPM earning time.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  5. Gabe2790

Mar 23, 2020
    Do you think that the "accessorials" help offset the time spent waiting and tarping?
    I want to eventually get into heavy haul and O.O. stuff and I know I have to start at the start. However, I'm starting late and have a family to take care of. Trying to make sure I keep em from going without as much as possible while i do this.

6. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    Depends how much the assessorial pay is, what kind of worker you are, and what kind of freight the company is gonna haul.

7. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    I do 100 to 350 a day

8. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    I have never gotten paid to sit or tarp, but i have definitely had both eat into my dollars per hour figure so i can reason that pay would be better than no pay since you are definitely working hard any time "lumber tarp" comes up.

Im happy at my job and can live on my check so i just dont look At whatever my hourly pittance is. I dont want to know. Comparison and expectation are the devils greatest tools for making you miserable. Ignorance is bliss.

Its a great season to start flatbedding as far as recent times are concerned. Corona spike rates is gonna drag trucks off every trailer type into van/reefer, just as spring flatbed boom explodes. It doesnt mean YOU will get rich, but your kids will eat atleast until winter.

Takes a year of flatbed before anyone will look at you for HH work. Keep your nose clean and your freight claims at zero. Itll pan out in time.

Gabe2790 Thanks this.
  9. Gabe2790

Mar 23, 2020
    Thanks, I appreciate the info. I already have it in my head not to try and figure out what I make hourly. I just care what the take home is.

FoolsErrand Thanks this.
  10. FoolsErrand

Sep 15, 2017
    With the way things are goin a lot of people will be happy to take home anything soon. With schools closed and hungry kids chowing on the couch all day, the money is gonna run out quicker than in.

Ruthless and Gabe2790 Thank this.
  11. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Be careful with that line of thought. Companies will try and get every hour they can

Gabe2790 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.