Flatbed vs. Stepdeck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Shotgun94, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    My 2014 Fontane flatbed has about $18k left on it with interest and I'm thinking If I were to own it then sell it, then use that money to get a down payment on a newer Stepdeck trailer. Anyone did it before? I'm in a L.P. with my carrier on my flatbed trailer at 15% interest for another 3 1/2 years.
    This way I can move into oversize loads and hauling bigger and higher paying freight.How much more profitable is Stepdeck vs Flatbed?

How much could it be worth in 3.5 years?
    Thx for feedback

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    If you dont mind, what carrier are you with that is charging 15% interest on a trailer?

Tb0n3 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    3.5 years to pay off 18k? At 15%? That's insane...
    You would be further ahead to pull 18k off a line of credit then pay your line back at a faster rate, as much as you can afford every month. Better yet, if you have 18k in cash just pay it and be done with it.

Bean Jr. and TallJoe Thank this.
  5. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    Paying 18k to own a 4 years old trailer that wont sell for much over that doesnt sound as a good deal to me.having a stepdeck doesnt automatically translate to better paying freight.
    Im thinking about selling my paid off 2015 step to get an rgn but when i calculate how much money i’ll be losing i think its a bad idea.

6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    I won't say anything about the financing. But my next trailer will most likely be a step deck. I don't see loads daily that would keep one busy on my load board. But I see a few each week that make me drool. Almost all flatbed freight will ride just fine on a step. Some even better. JMO.

7. Shotgun94

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia

I see your point. Makes a ton of sense, because then I would be owner of the trailer and have less interest to pay. If I were to do a personal loan it would be even less. They have a 5% penalaty though on the remaining balance of the trailer if you do pay it off early so it hurts to pay it off sooner in a way

8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    That sure is a good way to trap somebody into fleece purchase.

9. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    They seen you coming.

10. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    If you pay it off early will your leasing company still charge you 15%. Look at your trailer lease contract, and look for something titled “Rule of 7/8ths”, it can complicate your situation.
    Here is the definition, everyone who borrows should be aware of this rule, whether it’s truckin related or not.

Rule of 78s - Wikipedia

No comment on your plans, you’ll need some hard numbers to make a good business decision.
    Maybe the leasing company will negotiate the payoff price with you. No harm in asking if you have the funds available. But don’t roll the payoff into the price of the new trailer, you’ll be upside down, and you’ll drown in debt.

11. Shotgun94

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    I think i'll just keep going along with it and build some cushion for a bit. It is a walk away so it can't burn me really.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.