Fld classic cracked flywheel housing

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Fld4554, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Fld4554

Fld4554 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2022
    Yes sir I will. I’ll have them back today evening.

Last Call Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Can you get your ride height dailed in spot on ?

Fld4554 Thanks this.
  4. Fld4554

Fld4554 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2022
    I’m going to get it adjusted today

Last Call Thanks this.
  5. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    We are out in the country. When we have a bad vibration one of sits on the back of the truck while the other drives down the road. With it having a vibration the first thing would be to find the cause. Could be driveline, tires, bent rim to name a few. One other thing to consider is a broke crankshaft. The clutch also acts as a damper but I doubt that is it.. We even had a truck come in once that had wrung the yoke in half on front rear. It was still all there and the truck would move but every so often it would slip.

MAMservices and Fld4554 Thank this.
  6. RocketScott

RocketScott Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Kentucky
  7. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I am talking about tires on the ground. Remove the axle flange bolts and pull axles from hubs. If the problem is drive line balance or angle truck should still vibrate without going anywhere.

Badmon, Dino soar, bigguns and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Fld4554

Fld4554 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2022
    Driveshafts came back fine, problem is still there. Mechanic is thinking a problem with the input shaft or somewhere along the transmission. Is that something a bad input shaft could cause? And also is that something a bad or broke crankshaft can cause?

9. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    You would not be driving if your crankshaft was broken.
    Is the drive shaft bottoming and trying to push the engine and trans forward. Maybe they replace the drive shaft with one that is to long maybe due to worn out suspension bushings. I have seen similar damage on wrecked trucks where the engine got pushed back.
    If the drive shaft is bottoming out or to long than could be your vibration to.
    I highly doubt this but maybe the transmission input shaft is binding and there drawing things together with the bolts…I would think there would be other problems to show up first but it’s a thought

Dino soar and Fld4554 Thank this.
  10. MAMservices

MAMservices Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Mississippi
    When this housing is replaced, I would make certain that the engine supports were actually good including the front. Make sure both of the dowels are in place in the block so that alignment in assured. Just throwing this out there.

Fld4554 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  11. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Does that truck have the “carriage spring”support mount bolted to the top of the trans behind the shift tower?. It straddles the trans and sits on supports either bolted inside the frame rails or on the top flange of the rail in some specs.

Some trucks did not come oe with it if the trans had a cast iron clutch housing but it is a good support to have for some of the lighterweight flywheel housings or aluminum clutch housings.

The trans and driveline is a ton of weight hanging off that aluminum housing and that trans rear support isn’t much to begin with.

Fld4554, MAMservices and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.