"Fleets see endgame for lumpers..."

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by smokey12, Jun 14, 2021.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Actual employees of the receiver, who are entitled to health insurance and workman's comp.

My first year I went into Roundy's in Oconomowoc. I paid $400 for the lumpers to unload. It took 7 hours before I was done. After the first three hours I went in to ask what the deal was. Clerk gave me the brush off. As I headed out the door the lumper stopped me and told me they were at a standstill because the warehouse workers were on break. The lumpers had unloaded as much as they could, but until the warehouse workers started moving the product into the warehouse, they didn't have space to breakdown the rest of the load. The lumpers were slowed down because the actual employees went on break. Why is there a difference between the employees and the people breaking down the freight?

Since then I have seen a steady decline in the need to hire lumpers. I believe that the decline is because my company and the trucking industry in general has done better in charging the shipper for the lumper costs. Once the shipper/reciever starts having to bear the cost of unloading their product they tend to start trying to get trucks out of the dock ASAP. I remember going into the Marion, IN Dollar "Whatever" DC and seeing that they had a special board for P&G trucks - number of trucks unloaded under two hours vs over two hours. Within 3 months of first seeing that wipe board we started dropping loads instead of live unloading. When carriers actually charge the customer for the equipment's/driver's time, it's amazing how fast we get unloaded.

Imagine if this was industry standard. "Niagara Bottling" in Pleasant Prairie, Wi (AKA Nestle) wouldn't have a line of trucks blocking the only truck route into my delivery. As an industry we allow ourselves to be taken advantage of - both drivers and lumpers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    It shouldn't be the driver's problem, but if the receiver can put the cost of returning a half pallet of adult diapers to the shipper onto the carrier, they will. Receivers will continue to hold drivers until carriers push that cost back onto either the shipper of the receiver.

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Simple way to do it, tell lumpers up front. The 1st 2 hours are free, after that $50 will be deducted from their fee as a lazy-### surcharge...the longer I'm here, the less you make. A lot of the Capstone locations aren't even doing business face to face. They text you the fee amount along with the link to pay online. When they're done, your b/l and lumper receipt is in the back of the trailer, and you get a text saying it's ok to pull out of the door.

Flat Earth Trucker and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  5. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    How does the carrier push that cost back? What would be their strategy on that? If it's a full truck load then guess what, you're getting the full truckload. Something damaged how do I know your forklift driver or lumper didn't damage it? Driver not allowed on the dock. So easy for them to place blame on the driver/carrier. Let an LTL carrier come and pick up the damaged product to ship back.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  6. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    This right here.

gentleroger and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  7. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I like it better this way. Used it for the first time a few weeks ago. Didn’t have to deal with some mushed mouth Capstone guy or have to wait around with other drivers who want to engage me in small talk lol.

Flat Earth Trucker and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  8. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Too bad not all Capstone locations do it. Was at one the other day that still wanted me to fill out an actual EFS check...like I remember where I put them. Took me longer to find them and fill it out than it did to authorize it.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.