Floating gears i just suck

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MackRookie, Jan 4, 2018.

1. MackRookie

MackRookie Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Canada
    That Adams family gif was on point I can shift so smooth loaded.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Every truck has a little different sweet spot..rpm is the key.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Medium Load Member

Dec 27, 2017
    This thread was so chock full of driving instruction I am not sure if the initial question was ever answered. Did the truck do some kind of weird reset being double clutched, or was it just driver error on the OP? Cause this was the weirdest thing Ive ever heard of.

5. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Seriously man? You are a truck owner and you can’t figure this out? Starting to think you’re playing some folks

6. MackRookie

Nov 30, 2017
    Canada
    I WOULDNT BE ON Here wasting my time if I knew buddy.. never drove a Mack before and it is alot different then the freightliner and ken worth I was in.. Don' need to msg here if you think I'm messing with people...

7. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I'm guessing you weren't trained properly.

Floating well takes a lot of practice, but if you aren't taught the proper fundamentals, you won't ever do it well.

Rev up, put pressure on the stick, level off the RPM (which breaks torque), the stick should slide out like butter, then let the RPM's drop and find the next hole. The RPM gap between gears will vary depending on transmission ratios, and the speed at which they drop will depend on motor type (CAT's drop much slower than Cummins for instance).

Practice practice practice.

Farmerbob1 and MackRookie Thank this.
  8. MackRookie

Nov 30, 2017
    Canada
    This is what I get for learning at a cheap school lol

9. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    So....let’s start again.....what trans do you have? And don’t say 18 speed. 18 speed what? When you figure that out you get the operator manual for said trans and find out what the steps are between the gears and that’s how much your tach moves between gear meshes. Same thing as shifting any other truck best of luck

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  10. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well just a couple things.

I don't know what engine is in the Freightliner but the mack most likely is a low torque low RPM engine.

You can't shift that the same as the Freightliner. It will definitely feel different to you.

My guess is that when you're empty you don't have to wind it up all the way. Just wind the engine up enough that it will drop down to an RPM that the truck will shift and pull. When you are empty you should be able to shift very easily and leisurely. Just take your time.

Remember, when you are loaded you need to get the most out of the engine and split your gears.

When you are empty you just need to be able to shift into a gear that the truck will pull until you can get the RPMs to a point you can shift again and the truck will pull.

So when you're loaded you split your gears to get the most out of your pulling power. When you are empty you really only need to get enough RPMs to get into the next gear or even skip a gear and let the truck pull you.

It sounds like you need to become accustomed to the different way the Mack pulls and where you need to shift.

And when you are empty do not over shift. That's a real thing sometimes Younger drivers do. You don't have to upshift all of your gears and you don't have to downshift all of your gears when you are empty.

Try to find the owners manual to that Mack or Google the engine and it will tell you what the RPM range is and where it is supposed to pull.

And the last thing I leave you with is that I have been told, it has not been my first-hand experience, but I have been told that certain Mack Trucks have a delay when you hit the accelerator.

I don't know if it was a certain model engine or years of trucks- maybe some of the guys on the Forum might know that.

But it had something to do with the electronics ( again with the electronics!) recognizing the value from the foot pedal or some other kind of nonsense like that.

Maybe you're even having some kind of problem like that and you don't know it.

MackRookie and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  11. MackRookie

Nov 30, 2017
    Canada
    Thanks alot man I will look more into it. will be looking for the Manuel for the engine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.