Florida Man Darwin Award

Discussion in 'Other News' started by mjd4277, Oct 30, 2022.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    then park those other vehicles, otherwise you are contradicting yourself by what you said about helmets too.

if the law said YOU MUST wear a helmet, and you parked that bike, and then the law also says you MUST wear a seatbelt, then you had better do some serious parking.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    The article did not state cause of death,.....did say it was undetermined if a helmet would have made a difference...
    This is a very old never ending debate....I’ve been riding well over 50 years....which is only relevant in the fact I’ve had my fair share of close calls etc...
    While I’m firmly against any laws restricting personal freedom.....But in some(not all) a helmet can save your ###...
    It goes without saying You also must be willing to accept the risks involved
    IMHO the point in article I feel has been missed in all these posts
    “He LOST Control of his motorcycle”
    WHY???
    This we probably will never know....
    So my soapbox for now(if y’all will allow me)
    Is MORE mandatory rider education
    Starting with teenage driver Ed..,more situational awareness training etc....Frankly the entire driving community would be well served taking a rider Ed class even with no plans to ride......As truck drivers I’m sure y’all are familiar with the “Smith System”
    Which is a very limited basic “situational awareness” program that Barely scratches the surface....
    There are concepts in the most Basic MSF courses well beyond this....
    I could go much deeper in this explanation...but I think y’all get where I’m going
    One last point...As a former long time Chief MSF instructor...I will say this is how I started Almost every class
    Question..”Who here thinks you can ride a MC safely?”
    Almost every hand goes up
    Question...Who can define safely?”
    A smattering of answers
    My Reply....Miriam Webster defines safely as “ Without Risk”
    Who here thinks you can ride without Risk?
    No one raises hand
    “Good...We are here to learn how to “Mitigate that Risk”
    Sorry for the long winded ness

Tall Mike Thanks this.
  4. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I haven’t ridden in years but i always wore a helmet if one was available

sometimes id hop on a bike after working on it and go for a quick test ride without one
    But the wind and wind noise was always a problem for me

if you don’t wear a helmet you gotta wear goggles and ear plugs , and maybe a cap so you don’t get sunburned ,

it’s just easier to toss a brain bucket over your head and ride .

That said, I’m a libertarian and The only actions that should be illegal are those that deprive someone else of their life Liberty or property .

why have a seat belt law and no helmet law ?
    Seems like another lawsuit to me .

plus I’ve seen plenty of the “helmets” that riders use , most of them are just a Tupperware bowl with a strap , to satisfy the requirement .
    Never spend more on your helmet than your brain is worth , was the quote I always heard.

5. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Actually the article stated that the medical examiner determined that they both died from head trauma.

‘Olhand Thanks this.
  6. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    I'll continue to enjoy seeing those "scientists" riding Motorcycles that, for no apparent reason, have Helmets strapped on their heads and wearing short sleeved shirts and short pants or wearing Bikinis or Thongs and complaining about how "It's Too Hot To Wear Pants And A Jacket" and end up sliding along a road surface. :hmph:

The survivors in BURN WARDS screaming about how they're "burning up". :tard:
    - - - - - -
    I rode a few Motorcycles without a Brain Bucket as well long sleeves.
    Those times were late '70's to early '80's in suthun kooka-4-knee-ah.
    - - - - - -
    To Thine Self Be True!!

7. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
  8. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    If I'm just riding around the city on my Road Glide occasionally I'm "that guy"... Half helmet, jeans, t-shirt, gloves, and boots. If I'm getting on the highway for any distance it's full face Shoei, jeans, boots, Tour Master Jacket, and Alpine Stars gloves.

I've hit the dirt on motocross tracks enough to know I never want to hit the pavement on a road full of distracted drivers.

9. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Ok I only read first part..,never scrolled down to the read more box
    And while I will not get into a helmet discussion
    My original point still stands...He LOST control...so I have to ask WHY??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.