Florida Rock and Tank Lines????

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by KMLAQ, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Truckin' 18

Truckin' 18 Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2012
    I'd love to ask Throttlejockey and Recruiter some questions about FRTL. I'll be moving to Jax soon and I'm interested in them. If there's anyone else out there with first hand experience please jump in. If you want to PM rather than post on the forum just tell me. I'll start with one simple question and hopefully hear back from you guys. The web site mentions Blue Cross Blue Shield. How much is deducted for someone with dependants and how much for a single person? Aside from the copay is there a deductable that has to be covered before they start paying anything each year? I have a bunch of questions but I'll stop there hoping to hear back from someone in the know. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FRTL_DoraWarning

FRTL_DoraWarning Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    To those who have sent me Pms about Florida *ock, I cannot reply to them because I have to have 6 or something posts. I come back here every year or half a year or so to see if anyone had any similar experiences to mine at the Doraville Florida *ock and Yank Terminal.

To those that asked recently, first of all I hope you didn't go there but regardless, in Doraville, there... was no hiring process. I went in for the interview that morning, no interview, the place was like a vacuum cleaner hose that was kinda coaxing me to join. The assistant terminal manager (she's been gone now so I've heard, but she was pretty decent) was kinda rushed, and i guess my "interview" was, in a kinda hurried way: "you wanna do this or not?" Well, yes of course I said. So instantly they had me going to a nearby medical place to take the physical and drug test. I wasn't expecting to do the physical the first day, so I drank a large BK Joe (coffee from Burger King) on the way over there. I passed the physical and b. pressure part just fine even with the BK Joe but dang I wasn't expecting to do it the same day.

Basically, I figured there would be more info about the job and that I would talk to a few people but.. not really. The entire entry to the terminal process was.. Fast. Like I said.. like a vacuum cleaner hose nozzle sucking me in. .. looking back I see it was that they were desperate for some summer drivers immediately and wanted an extra cog for the wheel quick.

Heres the deal. Most know this, now I do to0. Be kinda leery of any trucking place that has "NOW HIRING DRIVERS' permanently painted on the back of their trailers. Of course, the great size places like the swifts and schneiders have this due to their size and general attrition as these are companies that predominantly foster new drivers, most of which quit before their first load. Many work for places like these and have mixed experiences (not all are bad) even though every orange trailer (and white dedicated vans too!!) have "NOW HIRING DRIVERS" on the back door. However, going in to a place like Florida *ock and Yank which requires 2 - 2.5 years exp, AND has the "NOW HIRING DRIVERS" on all of their trailers... beware of that. That probably means many people are quitting all the time. There are some exceptions, but generally, no one quits good jobs.. Case in point... Kroger (supermarket) around atlanta is driven by Atlas Logistics.. I went to fill out an application there right next to the schneider terminal on boulder crest ( you have to go there at a specific date and time to get an app) and after I filled out the app, it turned out that the app was for warehouse working only. Atlas Logistics is a unionized company, and turns out, there ARE NO applications to get in, most likely because there is little to no attrition. Empty positions, like at ABF and other nice to work for companies all things considered, are filled by the buddy system, or family members of drivers. In other words, better places do not have the "NOW HIRING DRIVERS" painted on every piece of co equipment.

Oh and by the way, I haven't seen it for myself, maybe others can verify.... Recently, I heard of a Florida Rock and Tank Tv commercial in the Atlanta area to coax people to get a job at the FRTL Doraville Terminal. Now, let me reiterate, I have not seen the commercial for myself but I believe the source. Like I said others may be able to verify. That fact to me says stay the heck away from FRTL, doraville as they're desperate for drivers due to current driver pain, suffering, fatigue, and.. attrition.

Finally, half off topic but I did hear on the radio a couple times (atlanta) on either 100.5 or 97.1 the river now its called (remember Dave FM(no DJ, just a music playing computer- or was Dave FM the old Z93??) and before that, Fox 97 oldies anyone?) a SOUTHEASTERN Freight Lines commercial begging for people with any experience to run doubles linehaul (term to term id imagine, just like ABF) as well as dock positions/ dock combination driver positions. Is this a warning sign of a nasty place to work?? You be the judge. I Don't wanna find out for myself and call me a quick quitter(3 yrs driving), but I only partially work with trucking anymore and not at all with driving. Im trying to stay out of any commercial driving for the time being (the main reason was my last post) but I do have an unexplainable pull to keep up with the the industry.

Like I said, I swing by every 4-6-12 mos to see If anyone else felt the burn at FRTL, Doraville, or anyone with differing experiences for that matter. Either way, I wish you all well, particularly those feeling around for a job with FRTL Doraville-- may it carry less pain than my experience.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.