Flying J Knx, TN install timers on fuel pumps

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by disoba, Jul 10, 2020.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I know the pilot in Milford. CT will get on that mic in a jiffy. You can't even go pee before they call out your truck number after you've pulled up

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Big old ex-oilfield C500 with a 600 CAT under the hood. Just push 'em outta the way lol.

4. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    If you see a long timer pick a different lane . So imo it helps a bit on lane choice

D.Tibbitt, Grumppy and dwells40 Thank this.
  5. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    Picking a long timer is not a good choice. If everyone chooses the shorter timer you will have lines to the street in the short timer. By then the idiot who had the long time will finally leave and there will be a mad dash to his lane. Another cluster fxxx waiting to happen.

6. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    The need for something like this and then the fact that it still isn't used properly and in the end serves no purpose at all perfectly illustrates the difference between capitalism and corporatism.

When America was purely capitalist the goal was to have each fuel island attended and full service. The customer was always happy because he got his fuel, air checked, windshield wiped down, etc, didn't have to do anything at all and still got out of the way quicklly enough but really didn't even have to be in a rush. Now that corporatism rules the country the penny pinching for that last cent of profit has been driven to such extremes that something like a timer was first dreamed up and then manufactured in bulk without the foresight to realize that nobody would even be there to enforce what everyone within 1/2 a mile could clearly see on the clock.

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Self service instead of full service doesn't have anything to do with capitalism. And certainly isn't something that hasn't been around for a very long time. Jack Cardwell started things going when he opened the very first Petro in El Paso in 1975. Followed by the one in Weatherford. By doing so he was able to sell fuel cheaper and make more money. Innovation, whether well liked or not. Pretty good example of capitalism at work.

8. Eowyn

Eowyn Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2016
    TN
    A little off topic but not much.... these timers are useless. People still sit in the aisle for however long they feel.

And talk about useless...
    At the eco plaza in Crossville, TN they decided to put in the idle air contraptions just about 2 years ago (I’m not really sure, but it was in the last few years). NO ONE used them and everyone still backed in. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone pull in to a spot there and I am there often. They eventually took the hoses off.

D.Tibbitt and Lite bug Thank this.
  9. brianv31

brianv31 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2010
    IL I-74 mile 149
    It has everything to do with capitalism. Cheaper fuel was desirable, and he found a way to offer it. It's the same reason Wal Mart has been successful over time, and now a company like Amazon. They figured out what consumers desired, and found a way to provide it. Capitalism is about freedom of choice and options. May the best option win.

If full service fuel pumps were more desirable than self service, even at a higher cost, they would still be the norm.

Lite bug and magoo68 Thank this.
  10. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Ironically full service or a fuel lane attendant at a busy location could provide more profit for location owner. Many guys myself included will bypass a location if it means waiting in a long line due to people parked at pumps..

11. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Mounteagle is one of the worst due to limited parking. I have pulled in and seen them 3 deep and just kept going. When the owner sees a $500 dollar tab pull away they will eventually do something.

D.Tibbitt and magoo68 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.