FMCSA: Current insurance minimums for carriers ‘inadequate,’ new rule coming

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by cabwrecker, Apr 22, 2014.

1. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    Well, you can expect to see your insurance premiums rise in the near future. FMCSA has skipped the "We think this might be the case" part of making new rules, and gone straight to "We know this is the case with certainty."

A couple interesting snippets from that lovely article:

"...FMCSA concludes that the $750,000 liability limit set in 1985 does not “adequately cover catastrophic crashes” today, due chiefly to inflation and increased medical costs, the agency say"

"...[read]OOIDA says the insurance increase “would be a death nail for small businesses” in the trucking industry, and OOIDA Executive Vice President Todd Spencer says that just 1 percent of all crashes where trucks are involved exceed $750,000 in damages. "

"...but the Trucking Alliance, an association of fleets, said in a report last March that between 2005 and 2011, 42 percent of the settlements paid by its carrier members exceeded $750,000"

In case any one was curious, the "Aliiance of truckers" Consists of- Maverick, Knight, JB hunt, Dupre, Boyle and Fikes. These guys can survive the rate increase

"The agency (FMCSA) attempts to quell carriers’ fears about increased insurance premiums by saying in its study that insurance rates have 'declined slightly on average in nominal terms' for the same level of coverage. Adjusted for inflation, insurance rates have dropped too, the agency says, adding that the current $750,000 minimum runs about $5,000 a year per truck. "

"Despite critics of the study, the agency (FMCSA) says it has already formed “a rulemaking team” to determine a new minimum liability level. The rule is now among [its] high priority rules."

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    We're all carrying million dollar policies anyway so if they up the minimum to that then there really shouldn't be any impact. Now if they up it to two million, that would definitely put the hurt on us.

4. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Is anyone starting a pool on the new amount?

My guess is $4 million.

5. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    lol..I know,I know...Whats next

Hey,I gots a good Idea,

Lets Everyone with Manual Transmissions,LEts all Just Drive Around Burning up Clutches..Clutch Brakes,Rippin apart Gear Boxes and burning our Brake Shoes to the Metal..No Wait,Better yet,Lets Burn em down To Nothing But Hardware(Springs n Clasps)

then......Without any Brakes Left.....lets Find a Puddle Of Oil somewhere (or make 1) and Lets Burn out on Our Drive Tire down till it Blows out! BOOM!!!

Then Lets Drain Our Crankcases empty And Run Em' 2000rpm until The Sweety sound of connecting Rods break engine Blocks

then Lets Pour Gasoline all over our trucks and Traileers...And you know the Rest.

When the News Media Gets There with the Cops....Just Say.. "I think its still under Warranty"..

6. cabwrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    This will be the ironic day we find out the FMCSA is actually controlled by ambulance chasing lawyers.
    Oh, pardon me, I meant personal injury attorneys! Surely, they are some of the kindest people there was, manipulating our now grotesque legal system...

7. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Source

$4+ million has been bandied about for a while.

8. cabwrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    Kind of ridiculous to raise the coverage minimum 5.3 times than what it currently is. I know FMCSA is half retarded, half stupid; but I don't think they're that retarded, or that stupid.
    That's a great way to piss a lot of drivers off, even more than they already are...One and a half more years, and hopefully not another Clinton. Just hold out, I suppose.

9. Freddy57

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    The current administration and its merry band of America haters have until January 20, 2017 to continue to inflict their misery upon Americans.

10. dude6710

dude6710 Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    And I thought my 2 mill was high

11. Freddy57

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    If they raise it to 4.5 mil, we will all have to demand a rate that reflects the extra cost before we load the next loads. I thought my 1M was high enough to cover about anything I might do but run away jury awards cost us all.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.