FMCSA officially strikes long-dormant 34-hour restart provisions from HOS

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by MrBoDarville, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    these so called "safety advocates" need to stay out of the industry. they are nothing more than ant-trucking citizens groups, that know jack about the industry and how it operates.

the gooberment needs to stop listening and cowing down to them, and listen to industry insiders instead.

how would those fools feel if say they worked a 9 to 5 job, and we demand the gooberment to make it mandatory for them to take a 30 minute break (in addition to thier 30 minute lunch break) or only be allowed to work 40 hours?

how would thier bosses feel for lost production?

MYOB if it does not effect you.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Actually they added rules to the 34 hour reset and they suspended them and now they removed them.
    That’s a good thing.

But these clowns in the gooberment need to stop suspending the HOS for every little calamity.
    You read these threads and how the drivers all of the sudden off the leash run almost nonstop.
    Without HOS Joe Buck isn’t gonna stop for a good night’s sleep he’s gonna be downing 5 hour energy and saying “if I’m not at home then these wheels will be turning”

loudtom Thanks this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Why cant they just leave the hours of service alone? They must be bored

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I say good riddance. That 1 restart a week with 2 1am-5am periods was one of the stupidest changes ever.

buddyd157 and shogun Thank this.
  6. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    I am always more tired after a 34. Just don’t seem to sleep the last 12-15 hours, then need to drive.
    I think two back to back 17’s with a drive shift in the middle would be a much better rest cycle.

7. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I’d like 10 hour a day maximum from pre to post trip.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I read the article and still am not clear on the two specifically suspended problems, Such as using 34 hours to automatically get your 70 back several times a week... (Duh...)

The rest of it is immersed in babbly with congresscritters known for sticking their fingers into stuff they know nothing about. Nor have they ever touched a big rig in life.

Typical.

Half tempted just to dispose of the entire HOS since it has become corrosive and a liability to the industry it seeks to protect. You are still going to be rolling night and day and sleep next week when you get allowed to go home a couple of days.

We don't enforce HOS on a Combat Infantry man... DERP! Stop shooting the enemy son, your work week is up. Go to bed. //satire.

9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I've done several 34's on the road in the last couple of years. When I tried to make that reset ONLY 34 hours long, it was brutal. For example most of the week before the reset I would be stopping sometime in the late afternoon or early evening and then sleeping. I would wake maybe 4-6 am. Then the 34 reset would take place and I would be starting my day at 1-2 am. I'd start driving feeling tired. Heaven help you if you need to take a nap or use the bathroom before sunrise. EVERY parking spot anywhere, plus the ones that aren't really spots would be filled, if not triple blocked. I just make my 34 a 48.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.