Focusing your eyes when driving.. never talked about or taught

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by mikeposttown, Apr 18, 2019.

1. mikeposttown

mikeposttown Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2019
    I think about driving and the theory about how to focus your eyes.

I guess in general i focus ahead maybe like 5 semi's ahead worth of road and then scan back and then back up..

Any thoughts on how to focus your eyes while driving... etc?

Also sometimes i keep my head kind of straight up and use peripheral vision. I drive best maybe when i dont think about this stuff too much though and its kind of instinctive.

anybody have some thoughts about eye movement and head positioning and using peripheral vision below you or ?

tinytim and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I would like to hear more about this too...

[​IMG]

Vic Firth, Long FLD, stwik and 14 others Thank this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Depends , if ur in heavy traffic , on interstate with a lot of lanes , u should be moving eyes back n forth side to side.. I think a lot of truck driving that I've learned is that it's not so much about seeing but anticipating what's gonna happen ... After while u see patterns and when u get good u can predict almost 100 percent accurately what each car is gonna do and it can keep u out of a lot of trouble...there was an in incident today outside of crashville tennesee , I saw far ahead the cars in left lanes had their brakes on for a little longer than normal so I started slowing down , trucker behind me got mad and floored it to the left lane only to lockem up when traffic came to a stand still just over the hill ... Its little things to notice like that , that helps keep u safe out here and making money

5. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Polarized glasses are a blessing in the day.
    Yellow glasses are good for night.
    In the snow or fog at night only use low beams.
    If your being blinded by oncoming traffic look at the white line on your right.

6. ETMF 58 White

ETMF 58 White Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Look up the Smith System 5 Keys. It addresses the very thing you are thinking about.

7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Did you just answer your own question?

Perhaps overthinking something while driving could be a form of distracted driving.
    Talking (or thinking) to yourself while driving can be just as bad as talking on the phone or watching a video, as it takes your mind off the task of actually driving safely.
    You lose your true focus by doing so.

Which is why I think safe driving can not be taught with a few simple steps to remember.
    You are either in the zone and driving safely, or you are not.

It is not the focus of the eyes that matter most - it is the focus of the mind.

Lepton1, tinytim, MIT and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I might be a minority of one, but I don't think a driver needs to stop his scans long enough to be focusing on much of anything. It only takes a fraction of an instant for something to go sideways. Engine instruments, right and left mirrors look ahead, then repeat. You park your fanny in that truck and tune out everything but a glance in those mirrors from time to time, some little white Honda is going to all the sudden pop into that blind spot. I have heard safety critters ask drivers, how did that happen? I understand what the OP is asking. Yes, I was looking ahead as well as behind me. Sometimes several blocks if I were in an urban area. Developing peripheral vision is also something every trucker should do. However peripheral vision should never be a substitute for that scan.

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    What's the difference between SEEING and FOCUS? It's the same difference as HEARING and LISTENING.

You walk into a party, people are talking. Behind you, across the room, you hear your name. Instantly, your brain focus turns your hearing to listening. Blocks everything else out. Same thing happens with your eyes. When reading traffic, you see everything. Your gauges, traffic in front of you, traffic behind you, traffic on the sides. You're all over. Wayyyyyyy up ahead of you, about to top a hill, you see a car put on brakes. Suddenly, you don't see everything, you are now focused. Next car topping the hill taps his brakes and switches lanes. Next car taps brakes and switches lanes also. Now, you're a half mile from the top of the hill.

What do you do in preparations for the top of the hill? Nothing? What are the odds that you might need to brake? What are the odds that you might have to switch lanes? Can you switch lanes? Can you safely brake?

88 Alpha, Lepton1, kemosabi49 and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    That’s so true , when mind is focused the eyes automatically are focused. I notice when Im tired my mind will drift off, time to park it.

Moosetek13 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Most people with Autism hear all sounds around them at the same volume. So picking sounds out in a crowd could be impossible.

This may be off topic but it makes me sound smart.

Moosetek13, Lepton1 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.