Foggy Headlights & poor brightness. Replace or ?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by InternationalTrucker, Nov 27, 2013.

1. InternationalTrucker

InternationalTrucker Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Dallas,TX
    My 07 a Freightliner Columbia have horrible foggy/cloudy headlights. I bough the truck back a month ago and I need some advice. Seems like the easier but not cheaper way to go is just to replace the whole headlight ( $240 on ebay) or use some product that can clean and help or even toothpaste ( I just read this morning how effective it can be). So, my first question is: What product or brand should I use to clean or old plain toothpaste will truly do the job?
    Now, the second part of these post is that If I am able to have it well cleaned, I would like to replace the bulbs for brighter ones. I have zero clue at what I have to do and what to get in case if I replace for brighter ones ( is it just, plug out and plug in or do I need to replace the harness?). I am not looking to make anyone blind out there...just looking for a cheaper way to be able to see the road better and be a safer driver...
    please, include the bulb light number and where to get if possible.
    Thank you in advance for all the feedback and HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tirednaz

tirednaz Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Arizona
    I have tried Mothers and turtle Wax products so far trying to clear up the headlights, no luck I'm looking at replacing them. As for the bulbs I believe they are a 9006 or 9007 you can get them at any part store just take one with you for comparison.

4. InternationalTrucker

Oct 22, 2013
    Dallas,TX
    No luck at all? You really think that my only option is to replace the whole thing? Is the 9006 and/or 9007 the same ones that comes from manufacture? I am really looking to get something brighter but legal and bright enough not too blind other fellow drivers...

5. tirednaz

tirednaz Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Arizona
    That's just the part numbers. Take one of the bulbs with you to the local Autozone and you will find about 5 different kinds from stock to daylight bright. Just match up the bulb. IDK about your only option is replacement I was just stating what I had used, there might be something out there that works. My headlights were really bad IMO.

InternationalTrucker Thanks this.
  6. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Your best bet is to replace them with new ones, the toothpaste and Headlight Repair kits are a temporary fix and they will constantly have to be redone.

Cetane+ and InternationalTrucker Thank this.
  7. robbiehorn

robbiehorn Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Axtell,Texas
    I tried to buff out some in my old truck which was a Columbia with one of those $25 3M kits and it helped a little but didn't last long at all. I say put your money towards new ones.

8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    We had some done and they worked. The manual for the Columbia said to use only water to clean them, as the solvent(alcohol) in the wash buckets took the anti-cloud coating off, and so far, that helped with the newer ones. You sand off the fog and progressively go to finer sandpaper until it appears almost clear and the liquid is used to recoat the lense.
    Napa sold some kits, too, I'm not sure if they were made by 3-M or not.

The bulbs are straight inline versions of the 9005 and 9006 with XS after the number, 9005XS is high beam and 9006XS is low beam if I remember correctly.

You can hook up standard bulbs with some difficulty if needed, but the right ones are much easier to use.

9. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    I use 0000 steel wool and rubbing compound on plastic lenses. Rubbing compound on the steel wool then switch to rubbing compound on a rag. Works great. After the first time wax the lense to give it some protection and hit with the rubbing compound alone as soon as it starts clouding again. Just near use the steel wool dry unless you intend to do a lot of polishing. ;)

10. "Hang - Man"

"Hang - Man" Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Western PA
    Yes what others have said above -rubbing compound followed by wax -small buffer would help.
    Also if they are fogged on the inside and are made like a cars newer style plastic headlights -you can pop out the whole unit and put it in your oven at like 200 degrees on a towel to soften the glue that holds the lens - pull it apart and buff- polish the inside of the lens then reseal.
    FYI: i have never tried this but hear this works as the glue/ caulking is fairly soft any way.

11. InternationalTrucker

Oct 22, 2013
    Dallas,TX
    I appreciate your info and I am about to head to a store to get the material necessary for such job. My first question is: any specific brand for the rubbing compound you recommend? 2. What is a rag (I'm sorry, but English is not my primary language and I do speak and write but here and there I don't know a word and I rather ask. And third and lays, what is usually the amount of time that it takes per headlight? Thanks again for this valuable info.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.