Follow me through Central Refrigerated training

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Big Rigg, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Big Rigg

Big Rigg Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Corona, CA
    My trainer checked with headquarters today and I only have 90 hours left to reach 200. So basicly 9 days and I can upgrade and get a truck of my own. Will try to take 2 days off after upgrading so can get organized then head out. Have been backing up easier now and am really getting the hang of things. The clutch went out this afternoon on the truck so we are spending the night at a hotel. WOW a real bed and I can wake up in the morning and take a shower. Truck should be fixed by 1 pm tomorrow and will be back on the road again. Hope all goes well for you out on the road PSUmoose hope to see you out there sometime.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BraggTN

BraggTN Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Clarksville, TN
    I was told by an instructor that KLLM has a good lease to own program...have to have 2 yrs experience and at the end of the lease, you buy the title for $10. Was also told that some of the pros of leasing is that it is usually under warranty throughout the lease and the payments you make are a tax right off. I'm new to all this so Im just taking whatever good advice I can get. All the drivers I've talked to that lease say they really do enjoy making the money. Just something I'm gonna take a year or so to think about.

4. BraggTN

BraggTN Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Clarksville, TN
    Its all going good Pank. Just got my trainer's name and phone number yesterday. He'll be here in Salt Lake sometime Friday night. So for now, just hanging out at the hotel just chillin. You'll like it here. Its fast paced so you're really finished before you know it. Hopefully you'll make good friends with your class like I did. 8 of us came from Conley and all 8 of us passed. I think I'm going to be the last one heading out with a trainer buts thats ok. 3 of us are stuck here til tomorrow so no biggie. Good luck to ya!

5. BraggTN

BraggTN Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Clarksville, TN
    Pank, I was told that if you live within I think 200 miles of terminal you have to leave your truck there. I do know that they said if you live out of state you can take your truck with you. Both terminals I have been to, some drivers have personal vehicles in the parking lot so they can just leave their trucks there and take their POV's home. Besides, you're responsible for your truck if anything happens to it while its parked at your home/city and you're not around. I didn't see too many CRS trucks on the east coast either. I remember while on the bus on I-80, I counted more than a dozen in just a few hours!

6. pank83

pank83 Light Load Member

May 19, 2011
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Ok good to know I just was not over thinking it cause I see just about ever truck company besides CRS. ....maybe I didn't read all your post but how long where you in Atl prior to shipping off to UTah. And once you upgrade since you live on the east coast does that mean you will run between utah and the east coast or all 48?

7. BraggTN

BraggTN Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Clarksville, TN
    Pank as far as I know, everyone will be doing 48 unless they get a dedicated run. Some people like the dedicated runs b/c they know exactly how much time and when they will be off for hometime/personal time to do things they need to do away from CRS. I'm not sure exactly how the dedicated runs work but from what I understand, some pay more than others with less miles. I've realized that trucking is kinda like the military...hurry up and wait. lol This is my 2nd full day off that I just get to sit around and go over my trainee manual until my trainer gets here sometime this evening. What I like is that nobody is riding you b/c you're sitting here not doing anything other than talking to other drivers waiting also.

8. pank83

pank83 Light Load Member

May 19, 2011
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    That's cool. Besides going to Japan I have not been out of the south so I don't mind beeing on the road. Has that 450wk kicked in yet?

9. PSUMoose

PSUMoose Medium Load Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Tieton, WA
    Hello all. first an aplolgy in advanced i am typing on my phone and we all know how fun that is.

So far I have been out for 2 days and it has been a lot of hurry up and wait, but that is ok because i get along well with my trainer.

So far we have gone from slc to twinfalls id back to slc and now we are sitting in stockton ca waiting on a trailer. apparrently the trailer we were going to pick up is sitting under a truck whos driver is on home time.
    so far I have only driven about 10hrs but i have already done more than 10 back ups and have most of the book done. my trainer says after i have been with him for 5 days i will start driving 8+ hrs a day and once i reach 150hrs ill be pulling 10s this kind of makes since but I would like to get moving and finish up soon. oh well what to do im still having a blast.

10. PSUMoose

PSUMoose Medium Load Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Tieton, WA
    pank you get $100 as soon as you are seated on your trainers truck. then you will get a prorated chek on the 2nd wed for however many days you are out. then you get the $450 each wed until you are done. if you need the cash you can get a $200 advance and they will deduct $50/week for 4 weeks. hope that helps.
    good luck bragg
    nice to hear you are almost done bigg rig, keep intouch after we upgrade

11. Big Rigg

Big Rigg Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Corona, CA
    Glad to hear you are on the road PSUMoose. You will find that there is a lot of waiting around out there. My trainer has lots of experience and knows how to talk his DM into letting him drop loads so we don't have to wait at shippers. He has showed me how to do the same thing and hope that I can use it when out on my own, but being a new driver not expecting much. We are sitting in Las Vegas waiting for a load for tomorrow. Will take it to Mira Loma, CA and drop then pickup a load there and go to WA. After that he is hoping to get a load from there to Idaho and hoping that will give me the hours I need to finish training. He is trying to stay on the west coast so when I finish I can get off the truck soon and he can get a new student. Will keep in touch with you once on my own.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.