Following too closely ticket

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Machinemo, Oct 28, 2022.

1. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Following too close. May you never get a job driving a truck. We have too many of you guys already.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I agree with you on "tailgating" but he wasn't in a truck he was in his personal vehicle.

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Legally what is the difference for a CDL holder? Following too closely needs to be enforced more when ANYBODY does it. In the case of a CMV that 30 to 40 thousand pounds behind the driver has to go somewhere in a sudden stop. Most of the time the tractor impacts. Once about 10 years ago a CMV hit a car and the family in the car could just be recognized as human. All because the CMV driver got into a hurry and did not notice the traffic backup. Last I heard that driver was sentenced to serve time.

5. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Understood. But tailgating shows either a disregard for others safety or aggressiveness.

I believe in giving people chances after they mess up, say for instance, having a criminal record and wanting a chance to leave it behind and get ahead. But I also believe that once a dangerous driver, always one. It’s bad enough in a 5K vehicle, but 80K is something else. We’ve all seen truck drivers that are unsafe, often every day. There is a reason why companies reject certain driving records.

6. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022
    I wish more drivers knew how not to hinder traffic flow!

7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    That comment earned you the Safe Driver Award.

8. Bozwik

Bozwik Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2022
    Mars, USA
    Agree. Too many drivers take their poor 4 wheeler habits and apply them to their profession. Just because you have been driving for 20 plus years, doesn't mean you have 20 years of experience. All those years you may not have been paying attention or even learn from mistakes made by you or someone else.

There's a whole lot of crappy drivers out there. I see a semi coming up behind me. The middle lane is clear and has been clear for him to get over to pass, but instead rides my ### until something clicks inside his little brain.

9. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Your right. I was speaking to a driver who came close to an accident on I 81 the other day and expressed how stupid some drivers can be. Still, as much as this is right, it still does not excuse it when a diver chooses to get real close. I will say this though. I drove for decades and have multi-millions of safe miles under my belt. I have seen tailgating in the right lands so much that I expected it. Doing this is a form of aggressive driving that is dangerous. It can cause chain reaction accidents. I have seen some knuckleheads do this in heavy fog. The thing is this happens so much that I have mentioned to my daughter she needs to back off a bit. My son-in-law tailgates too.

[​IMG]

10. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022
    Again we

Again it seems we are close in thought and see more than just one problem or one issue caused by an other problem.
    Although I seem to have solved the son in law issue of aggressive driving at least in my family. I took him out back and did what his father should have done long before he ever got close to a car. She tells me he won’t speed, tailgate, started using his turn signal at proper distances and never lets his temper get the best of him ever since. It seems a good old fashioned whoopin still gets the results needed! Some might consider that wrong but when you have my Grandchildren in the car you best drive right or face the Reepercussions when I hear about it!

11. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    My Son in Law is a Lt Colonel in the Army and wears a screaming eagle patch. He is a 35F, I don't fully understand the Army MOS structure but I think he is a 35F5P. If I understand his orders correctly he is going to be teaching at the Air Assualt School on Ft Campbell until either he is needed in Romania or his unit returns. He did tell me Friday that his orders are open-ended and he will report in Jan and has no idea what will happen. As to grandkids, Keri has a very noticeable baby bump now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.