Food grade tanker in WV?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Eagerestwolf, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Eagerestwolf

Eagerestwolf Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Charleston, WV
    Hey all (especially you @Chinatown, you seem to be the guru here), I'm wanting to get back into food grade tanker. I'm located in Charleston, WV (potentially moving to SC in a few years), and I have 4 1/2 years of driving experience. I'm specifically looking at food grade because most of the chemical companies in my area are awful and nobody has anything good to say about them, or I can't drive for them. I have worked for Prime (doing reefer and tanker) in the past (me and tanker division manager don't get along, long story) and Oakley Transport (that bridge is burnt for various reasons, again long story) in the past. In total, I have just less than 1 year of food grade tanker experience (with pumping experience) and I have hauled both HazMat and into/out of Canada. I've still got my HazMat and passport as well. I have an auto restriction. I'm not looking to be home every day (though that would be nice), but I'm definitely not looking to be out for 3-4 weeks at a time. I know Indian River and Bynum are hiring in my area for home weekly, but I've not heard good things (I actually have 2 options with Indian River, Northeast or Midwest regional). I know food grade probably isn't the smartest option given that I live in one of the largest manufacturing areas for chemicals east of the Mississippi, but the companies suck.

For those who insist on chemical, here's what I know about the companies in my area. Quality needs no explanation, it's Quality. I cannot drive for Heniff (I have an auto restriction). Transwood in my area is known for screwing their drivers pretty hard (shorting milage and pushing drivers to put in 70 hours in 5 days since you get weekly home time [sounds easy, it's not I've done it]). Hilco gives me bad vibes, I just don't trust them. Dana is owner op only in my area. Schneider currently isn't hiring for the Belle (Cornerstone) account (though I think they lost it to another carrier [Dupre, possibly]). I can't drive for Dupre (auto restriction again). KAG is only hiring for true OTR (21 out, 3 home), and that is NOT what I want; I'm sick of true OTR. Praxair is...well it's Praxair, you won't hear anything for months and then they just say no.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    Reason for edit: grammar, clarification
    OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    I've heard Indian River Transport pays drivers $200 just to cross the border from New York into Canada, and that their drivers take advantage of this by requesting to remain in that area just so that they can do this.

Consider Trimac if they run in your area. I've never been with a company that has treated me better.

According to their website, Trimac transports food grade loads in addition to chemicals and non HazMat loads.

A lot of what Trimac hauls is acranal, which is the base for latex paint. It's an especially easy load if the customer offloads themselves or at least supplies their own air.

4. Eagerestwolf

Jan 7, 2019
    Charleston, WV
    Yeah, I had looked into Trimac because of some other threads in here in the tanker forum recommending them. They don't hire in my area though. The closest terminal is Louisville, KY; but they're only hiring mechanics at the moment.

In fact, I've been to their Louisville Terminal when I was with Oakley for hydraulic repairs; and Prime uses their tank wash in Chattenooga, TN.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  5. Eagerestwolf

Jan 7, 2019
    Charleston, WV
    Quantix runs manuals, don't they? I'm pretty sure they run Peterbilt 567's. I mean, you cloud spec a 567 with an auto, but I'm not sure if they do.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I don't know which transmissions are used there.

7. Eagerestwolf

Jan 7, 2019
    Charleston, WV
    Well, I applied; so, we'll see. They didn't list ability to drive manual as a requirement.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Let us know what you find out.

9. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Venezia is hiring in SC for sure, it's not food grade but mostly non haz motor oil or maybe asphalt. A lot of auto trans trucks and good trailers. Not sure what they pay down there but I make out pretty dang good running PA and the surrounding states

Flat Earth Trucker and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Eagerestwolf -- above, in your first post, you said that Hilco gives you bad vibes.

What is it about them and/or what do you know about them...that gives you such? :confused:

--Lual

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.