Food service downtown 53 ft trailer new driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ozzyoztrucker, Feb 19, 2019.

1. ozzyoztrucker

ozzyoztrucker Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2019
    I don't have cdl yet, not permit either. I was planning to get the permit and then apply for Gordon, McLane etc. food service driver trainee program. I thought it's the fastest and cheapest way to get into trucking. But after reading a lot here on forum from experienced drivers(thank you by the way), I am little bit unsure to start with a food service company. My reasoning is this; Food service means that they send the driver downtown, back alley parking, narrow street driving and backing, constant traffic jams(I am at Dallas, Ft Worth area.) And I see that after reading here, even minor accidents would get me fired and make my life really hard to get hired again. So my question and concern is this; 53 or 40 ft trailer(really long trailers for narrow turn and streets) , all day downtown driving, rookie driver. Isn't this a recipe for disaster?
    Or as a second option which I probably should do, go to a trucking school (find a financial aid first lol) then apply for tanker Hazmat companies, they have regional and or daily home positions. They really don't get into heavy traffic as much as food service guys.
    Also, if there is anyone been to the food service trainee program, I would appreciate your comments too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    53 footer, in a big city! Have lots of fun!

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  5. ozzyoztrucker

Feb 4, 2019
    I know, right lol:) even after proper training, food service for a rookie driver 53 ft trailer in downtown Dallas looks really intimidating.

6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    As an OTR driver, I have had to do setups on busy city streets in 53 footers into basement garage type docks. It is not hard, just terribly unforgiving of mistakes.

7. ozzyoztrucker

Feb 4, 2019
    I really would love to start with tanker companies. That would be a little easier start for truck driving career compared to food service, I think.
    By the way thank you for your comments in this forum, I have learned a lot from your knowledge even before getting the cdl. :salute:

austinmike and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. Mr.AntiSocial

Mr.AntiSocial Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2015
    Sounds like your beating yourself up before you even get started. With a decent trainer and the right attitude you might surprise yourself at what you can do.
    There’ll always be traffic no matter what your pulling be it tanker, van, reefer....you get the point.
    Good luck whichever path you choose .....

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    A&R Logistics is a good one and has weekends or more at home.
    Terminal in Ft. Worth. Call and ask which schools they hire from.
    Terminal
    1381 Meacham Blvd.
    Fort Worth,
    A&R Truck Driver Requirements
    • Have valid Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) from their state of residence.
    • Have 6 months of recent, verifiable, tractor/trailer experience with a regulated carrier or be a recent graduate from an accredited truck driving school.
    • Must successfully pass a minimum 6-month DOT physical and pre-placement drug screen.
    • Have no DUI/DWI, impaired-driving or implied-consent convictions within the past 3 years.
    [​IMG].

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    For trucking company school, look at:
    FFE(Frozen Food Express) in Lancaster.
    Western Dairy Transport - milk tankers - www.wdtmilk.com . Couple schools in Texas.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Freymiller - www.drive4freymiller.com & click on "Recent Graduates." This is a good company for graduates of private cdl schools.

11. TruckerFit

TruckerFit Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Dont be scared homie

ozzyoztrucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.