Food service or LTL P&D (Knoxville/Alcoa TN area)

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Gingeraffe1024, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Gingeraffe1024

Gingeraffe1024 Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2021
    Hi,

I have about 2 years regional/local city experience looking to make a change and make a bit more money. I'm not afraid of physical work at all, looking for a decent check with good benefits, nothing crazy on the OT if I can help it.

I'm familiar with going to some tight places and can back decently well I suppose.

Between food service (US Foods, Sysco, GFS, HT Hackney around here) and LTL P&D (Holland, ABF, FedEx, UPS, XPO, OD, and probably a few more that are around here) what would your suggestions be?

2 years regional/city
    Accident free clean mvr
    Sadly no endorsements yet but I can easily obtain (I know I'll have to before applying to LTL companies)

Thanks for your input!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Go with one the line haul companies you listed so you don't ruin your back.
    (Holland, ABF, FedEx, UPS, XPO, OD.)
    &
    R&L Carriers
    5004 N National Dr, Knoxville, TN 37914
    ~
    Estes Express Lines
    ~

4. Spinner1

Spinner1 Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2018
    Old Dominion line haul if you dont mind nights!

5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    LTL.
    Either P&D or Linehaul. Just depends on whether or not you like running nights. The thing about LTL is that occasionally you have to fingerprint freight, but honestly, not that much. With foodservice, it's 100% fingerprint and ugly morning hours.....always.

6. Gingeraffe1024

Gingeraffe1024 Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2021
    Thanks for the input! I'll check out the ltl companies and look at getting the endorsements. I'm not much of a late night person so I'd probably try to stick with P&D unless I have to do linehaul first. Physical work is no problem for me so I'd be fine with moving freight around if I need to..

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Generally speaking, the linehaul bids go to the most senior drivers because it pays more.
    When you start you likely will have to do both for a while, which is good because you'll get a good idea of what both entail.
    A focused, honest young man can make a very, very successful and happy career in LTL. Wages and benefits are excellent and it allows for a normal personal life as well. I highly recommend it.
    I was a manager for both XPO (Conway) and FedEx freight. I speak from personal experience.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.