How to prepare for a job in food service where it is very physical?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by drewpoco, Oct 28, 2021.

1. drewpoco

drewpoco Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Hello Truckers, I'm going to have a lot of free time and I want to physically prepare for the foodservice trucking industry.

I know foodservice drivers work anywhere from 8-14 hours. 30% of the time driving and 70% of the time loading and unloading cases/boxes that weigh anywhere from 5- 100 lbs. 4-6 days a week.

My plan is to go to the gym for 8 hours a day 5-6 days a week and simulate different movements such as pushing, pulling, bending over, reaching and others while incorporating weighted dumbbells and other equipment up to 100 lbs.

Is this a good plan? Working out for 2 hours is different from doing the same thing over and over again for 8-14 hours and I want to simulate that physical labor.

I'm 27, healthy, fit, not muscular, not skinny but not fat either. My job in the military consisted of pushing paperwork 30-40 hours a week working 4-5 days a week. I know for a fact I am not prepared for the foodservice game.

Your tips and input will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Most important to learn are proper lifting techniques.
    Probably some YouTube videos on that.
    Foodservice orientation will show videos also.
    [​IMG]

4. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Mostly importantly that type of job ruins the back & knees in the long run. I had considered it a while back (but my back said heck no:D:D). That being said. To be honest that type of job is a two man job. You see certain companies in that food service use two people. A person is prone to injury. Yes there are exceptions but not the rule.
    When your working out at the gym you don't work the same muscles hard every day you give them a rest day. When in delivering in the food service does your back & knees get a rest day?

I "was" a avid runner & loved jumping rope. I worked out as well. When I thought about the food service (because of the sign on bonus & 100k a year) you are in a high demand get it done environment. I didn't want to be pushed every day (it's all about the boxes) my back and knees won the argument between my pockets. I can make that money doing less demanding work. All the best to your back & knees if you carry that load:rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. drewpoco

drewpoco Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2021
    I’ll be supporting my girlfriend who will be going to school full time and need a local gig.

6. John Joel Glanton

John Joel Glanton Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    Congrats on the new job!

I would NOT go to the gym 8 hours a day. That's just crazy. I would just get on a good workout routine, eat healthy and get plenty of good sleep.

I delivered beer for 5 years. I would say it's harder than food service. Cases of beer, kegs, all on handtrucks getting pulled up and down stairs. I saw the Sysco guys at many stops and they're going down some of the same stairs as us. Yes, they run you ragged but it's not a huge deal. If you are somewhat in shape and use proper form like Chinatown posted there, you will be fine.

My advice is to hit the gym and do a standard strength training program. 3x a week for no more than one hour. Bench press, standing overhead press, bent over row, deadlift, squat. Up your protein consumption. This will give you a solid foundation to start with. I also recommend boots with good traction and make sure you get plenty of sleep. You want to be well rested.

What company are you starting with? Is it day time hours? Home nightly? Cheers.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do food service until she graduates and starts her first job.

8. drewpoco

drewpoco Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2021
    That is the plan!

9. drewpoco

drewpoco Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2021
    I have not started yet but I want to work for McLane or Sysco. Chain accounts so overnight/graveyard shifts. Home daily. Thank you for the tips. I just want to feel prepared for lifting 100 lb. cases while going up and down the stairs or having the need to lift it up over my head.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.