For new CDL graduates, do most companies require contracts right out of school?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by taodnt, Jan 9, 2018.

1. taodnt

taodnt Light Load Member

May 6, 2017
    North of Green Bay
    Hello,

I am in day two of my training (going well so far I think). The school is affiliated to a company which allows students to pay off their fees over time.

I am ready to write a check to pay for everything in advance and am told I need to sign a one year /120,000 mile contract with financial penalties if I do not stay through the contract.

My questions:

Is this standard procedure for companies hiring fresh graduates?

If so then I guess I will be signing. If not, how does one find companies that do not require contracts for new graduates?

As my location indicates I am in NE Wisconsin but just outside the Green Bay hiring area for several companies.

Thanks for listening. I am open to suggestions, not tied to any lanes or equipment types. Prefer NOT OTR for a variety of reasons, not mine but my wife's.

jraulpilot1998 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    If you have your license, new or not dont sign a contract.
    /There are companies that will hire noobs without it.
    You just have to put in the legwork to find them.

Try local sand and gravel, powder bulk, etc..

taodnt Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Pay the tuition directly to the school.

GET A RECIEPT in paid in full. Date, time, amount school letter head etc.

DO NOT SIGN *&^%$ with anyone promising to pay later or any contracts. You stated that you have cash now to pay in full. Make it happen.

Your CDL is your own. Especially if you do not sign notes, contracts or any instrument enforceable against yourself in the future.

Let em scream. If they DONT hire you, there are a thousand other companies that will.

What part of pay cash to school in full dont anyone understand?

SplashDogs, Express12$ and taodnt Thank this.
  5. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    My company will hire a new CDL graduate from an approved (260 hours, maybe more) CDL training program and won't make you sign any kind of contract. If not from an approved training program, i.e. you obtained your CDL from Swift driving academy or the like, you have to come in with a minimum amount of OTR experience. You're better off not getting your CDL through a company that requires a contract stipulating that you remain with them for any amount of time. This is however just my opinion. Others may disagree. I think you could do better.

taodnt and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I hate to be contrary, but isnt a CDL part of a product issued by all 50 USA states to a common Federal Testing standard?

Approved schools... MEH... /sarcasm.

taodnt and ACO476 Thank this.
  7. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    True. The problem lies in obtaining the necessary basic skills required to obtain said product issued by all 50 USA states to a common Federal Testing standard, also known as a CDL. That, and obtaining a vehicle for the road test, which can likely be difficult outside of a third party institution. Good point though.

taodnt Thanks this.
  8. JLMooreKCMO

JLMooreKCMO Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Some companies will make you sign a contract that covers time spent with a trainer after you have your CDL. At least they use to. But a lot of companies don't. My former company didn't.

9. Express12$

Express12$ Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2017
    If you already have your license. Why do you need to sign a contract that requires you to do certain amount of miles a year. you can go work for any company that accept and trained newly licensed student, to get some experience on the road you. drive for any companies that will train you , The companies like CRST out of Iowa, Swift, u.s. Xpress. Or you can just go and drive locally like a garbage trucks or dump truck without any such nonsense contract. Only I can think of scenarios of desperate people who sign contract if there are out of money and have no way of paying for CDL license. Since you already have the license, absolutely should never signed any contract with company that require- demand such nonsense .

10. Express12$

Express12$ Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2017
    If you don't already have your license go to CRST out of Iowa after orientation and once you get cdl permit. Then take the option to go to Hawkeye Community College out of Waterloo Iowa. The deal is if you have the money they will allow you to pay without any contract it's about $3,000. The only reason why I suggest you ask them for a Hawkeye Community College out of waterloop is because you don't have to deal with a lot of ghettos and dogs and garbage homeless people that have no place to go other than living off of the company's sponsorship and housing. They are very Distributive.

11. jraulpilot1998

jraulpilot1998 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2014
    All over U.S.A
    Even if......You write a Check for School, it will not matter. For them is about keeping the driver for a year. *Driver to generate 12 months of Revenue and experience. That's why most if not All, require a Contract. Also READ EVERY SINGLE line and understand it, if you dont, snap a Pic, ask a Lawyer. Then and only then sign the contract. (That alone has become a source of revenue for companies in the Long run and a BIG HEADACHE for thousands of prospective Drivers in the past. Happy Trails...!!!

Express12$ and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.