For newbies - Confessions of a veteran driver

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Fretless, Dec 25, 2010.

1. mosrock

mosrock Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Shinnston
    needs to be stickied

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. paul 1052

paul 1052 Heavy Load Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Sand Springs, Ok.
    You'd be surprised at how many states you could legally carry in. With an Oklahoma permit, a Florida non resident permit and or a Utah non resident permit I would be pretty well covered. In the states that there's no reciprocity with you lock the weapon in a safe box then get it back out in the next state.

You're guaranteed "safe transit" through those states with the weapon locked away by Federal law.

I can't because I go to Canada weekly and both borders kinda frown on that.

Look around here.
    http://www.carryconcealed.net/

4. KnuckleBuster

KnuckleBuster Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Wellsboro Pa, Lakeland Fl
    Great post. One of the best that I've read.

Great advice. Now here's another big tip....if you get to a loading/unloading point that's not open and decide to grab a door and bump the dock before going to sleep, ALWAYS get out and make sure that the lip on the electric dock plate is retracted. If it isn't, and you back into it, I guarentee it'll not only ruin your nap, but it'll ruin your day to. You'll play heck getting those doors open to unload. I can't tell you how may times I ran into that situation and was glad that I always checked things out before I bumped the dock.

5. jlayne38

jlayne38 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2011
    indian trail, NC
    im starting school for central refrigerated in Feb.! can u give me some advice? is this a good company to work for? Thanks, Jeff

6. Hillybilly

Hillybilly Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Central WV / Southern OH
    Fretless, I have to say your post is a breath of fresh air for me. I got my CDL just before I left the military back in '08. When I got out I went to drive for Werner, but due to a family emergency, I was forced to quit after only 2 weeks. I've worked in a power plant ever since and absolutly hate it, so now that everything has calmed down family wise, I'm dying to get back on the road. Reading around this forum has had me second guessing myself, until I just read your post. THANK YOU!

Fretless Thanks this.
  7. Dizzles

Dizzles Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Marietta, GA
    Love the Post, great info for noobs like myself!!!

8. tut

tut Light Load Member

That's reverse descrimination!

I've made note of posts when an author, it would seem, only recently graduated from 2nd grade and I was spanked for it... Now, someone makes note of an articulate person as if such is unusual here!

Let the spanking begin!? :biggrin_25523::biggrin_2558:

9. katsone

katsone Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Thank you so very much for the words!! As a newbie, you hear so many different things, good, bad, and ugly which can taint your thinking. The honesty is not only useful but very appreciated.

10. Fretless

Fretless Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Appleton, WI
    To HillyBilly and all of you who have responded to this post...you're welcome!

There are a whole lot of drivers out there who are willing to help you out. Most of us understand what it's like to be new and unsure of things. I've only mentioned what works well for me. It'll take a little time to feel comfortable with a routine, but don't be afraid to ask for help, ask questions, get clarification, etc. DO NOT rely 100% on a GPS. I have used Rand, PC Miler and Garmin, none of them are infallible! I guess I should have put that in my original post.

Good luck to all of you in your new career!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.