For truck drivers, jobs in ON compared to BC

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Trucker321, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Trucker321

Trucker321 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Comparing truck driving jobs in the provinces ON and BC which has:
    -The most job opportunities
    -Better paying jobs

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    What is the goal? Lots of different driving jobs in both provinces. Also cost of living can be low or very high in either province as well.

4. Trucker321

Mar 12, 2018
    Thanks for the reply gokiddogo. I would become a new driver and I believe it would be advantageous to train in the province I initially work in. My objective would be to maximize income while getting good experience. The type of driving job would fall as a second tier consideration as I am flexible.

5. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I think you just need to start period. Get some experience figure out what you like to do and go from there. Need more direction rather than "I want to make the most money."
    For example
    I have the reefer world figured out and do quite well. Ask me to do flatbed? I would fare poorly. Ask a heavy hauler to do what I do? He would probably hate it and quit. Most of us have some direction. In the beginning it is good to just jump in and do whatever for a year or 2. Bank some money, maybe try different sectors of the industry and then make some decisions.

6. Trucker321

Mar 12, 2018
    Good advice. In the reefer world:
    Is compensation similar between BC and ON?
    Is the driver typically responsible for actually unloading the trailer or only transport/drop-off/pick-up of trailers? As a driver, the latter would be my preference.
    Is it easier or more difficult to get a first job in BC or ON (assume generally a fast learner, capable, dependable and shows well)?

7. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Probably easier in Ontario. However, I only say that because it is where I am located - and I know the market here - BC to me is a lost cause, but there is still work to be had there.

I never unload my own trailer. If they want to charge to unload it I bill it back to the customer. Which for me is rare. It is found at grocery warehouses in the USA and is very rare in Canada.

The pay I think might be slightly better in Ontario. There is also a lot of dry van auto parts work to do here as well. The auto parts is an easy way to get into trucking. Not a lot of skill required, pay is between 50-60k first year. If you work your nuts off you might make 75 doing that. And work your nuts off I mean you are literally running when you are stopped and have it pinned against the 65 mph limiter at all times, and barely coming in under your 70 hour rule. I would advise you to do dry van for at least 6 months before you make the switch to reefer. There is a lot to learn about how the real world operates, and reefer really can be frustrating as hell if you are trying to learn it all in one shot. And as a company driver, you won't make all that much more pulling a reefer. MAYBE 5-10%.

Sirscrapntruckalot and BeCool Thank this.
  8. Trucker321

Mar 12, 2018
    gokiddogo, thanks for your input.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    BC is expensive as #### to live. I left that province the moment I turned 18. They tax you to death on everything there.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  10. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I can't wait til you guys turn the pipeline off
    See how expensive it gets now
    Give them a green economy....lol
    Put those idiots in their place

Sirscrapntruckalot and AModelCat Thank this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    My buddy just posted a pic on Facebook of Vancouver gas prices. Over $1.53/litre for regular. When Fort Mac was in full boom mode 5 years ago the gas prices weren't that high.

Then there's those crooks at ICBC. Gouge everyone on insurance. And you have to pay for healthcare in BC.

Edit: beautiful province but its just so expensive to live there.

Sirscrapntruckalot and gokiddogo Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.