Forming an LLC as one owner vs two owner?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Norfolk, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Norfolk

Norfolk Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2019
    North Kingstown, RI
    In the process of starting an LLC. It's a one truck operation, at the moment, one driver (myself) and my wife rides with me, she will run the "office". Would it be more beneficial, for taxes, if forming it as a one owner and employing my wife? Or as two owners? My future plans are to add another truck and driver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Ask accountant or tax professional.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  4. Norfolk

Norfolk Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2019
    North Kingstown, RI

5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    The owners can be employees or not. Who ever works for the LLC can be employees, BUT, (depends on the state) owners can be exempt employees of a corporation. Meaning owner/employees can be exempt from certain payroll taxes and requirements. At the same time owner/employees can also be included in all payroll taxes.

You really need to ask your accountant this question. The correct answer requires more information than you probably want to post.
    Good luck.

Norfolk Thanks this.
  6. Norfolk

Norfolk Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2019
    North Kingstown, RI
    Thanks for the response. Do you have any recommendations for a good trucking accountant? Just getting started in the business as an owner op after company driving since 06

7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    You also should consult an attorney.

Not giving any advice at all, but if you are the owner and the driver and someone comes after you to sue you the LLC is not going to Shield you very much.

The lawyer may or may not tell you to exclude her and maybe somehow set it up that the assets are in her name if you own a home or anything else.

The accountant may tell you to draw a salary like an employee of the LLC or the LLC as an S corporation, to help you to lessen the tax burden.

But you can pay your wife a salary the same way without her necessarily being listed as one of the members.

But you need to consult a good Trucking attorney and a good accountant for what to do.

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You do not need a trucking accountant, you need an accountant first to determine what you really should be looking at when it comes to tax liabilities and properly set it up.

llc no matter what others claim do not limit your liabilities when it comes to trucking.

p608 Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I left my Wife off mine. Better that way. If She wants her Own Company, get it herself, Lol. Seriously if for some reason, I had to fold up, another could be opened on her name. Just in case. And to shelter her from any Liability meanwhile. A permanent Power of Attorney is something to consider, just in case. Make it easier for her, God forbid. Things I’ve heard over the years. Definitely get a Lawyers advice, if needed. Maybe more than one opinion. Some Lawyers aren’t very good. Seen it a few times.

10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I thought about my wife to be a part of my corporation but decided not to.
    1. Her salary would by subject to additional payroll taxes. It is not like there is ever too much revenue to escape from by using her.
    2. In case of any legal issues of even the hardest to predict nature, her not being a part of the corporation, would absolve her from any liabilities.

86scotty Thanks this.
  11. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Agreed ^^^. If you and your wife get along and share the money being made by the truck no need to overcomplicate things IMO.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.