Found my dream truck but have a few questions

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BulletProof, Jun 22, 2014.

1. BulletProof

BulletProof Medium Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Alabama
    I went saturday and test-drove a 2003 Peterbilt 379EXHD. Has 10 virgin 11R24.5 tires, brand new seats and brand new carpet. Has the drivers lounge in the 70 inch sleeper with the fold up bed with the table that folds out from under it. Has an 18 speed and 3.55 rears and every gauge known to man. Also has the Cat 6NZ with 1.4mil and had an in-frame done at 700k so it has about 700k since the in-frame and had the turbo replaced about 200k ago. They want $62,000. This truck appears to be the real deal. Very well maintained according to the paperwork but I have a couple of questions.

Question #1: Will it cause a problem having 11R24.5 tires on a truck and 22.5LP or 11R22.5 tires on the trailer? I don't want to go down the road with the nose of the trailer up in the air and put me over-height. I looked at the 5th wheel and it does not sit as high off the saddle pins like my T660 company truck does. Could be a low-profile 5th wheel. I have been looking for 53x102 vans with 11R24.5 or even 24.5LP tires and they are very few and far between. If I can run 22.5LP or 11R22.5 then it will make my trailer search a whole lot easier. I do know that we have some trailers at work with 11R24.5 tires and our trucks have 22.5 tires and i couldn't tell a whole lot of difference standing back looking at the truck/trailer to see if the trailer was slanted up or down.

Question #2. I'm not very knowledgeable about CAT motors. My expertise is with Cummins and Detroit engines. I do know that the 6NZ is about the best motor CAT produced. I would assume it would be advised to do an in-frame about every 1mil miles like most engines. That would give me 2 - 3 years (if nothing major happens) before I have to in-frame it. For some of you who have CAT motors, especially if you have a 6NZ, how much would an in-frame cost on average?

I was a mechanic before I was a driver and I went over this truck with a fine tooth comb. Everything I saw looked excellent. I just don't want to have a problem with the tires being too tall for a trailer with 22.5's or if I get it and something major happens, how much will be forking out for the in-frame.

Thanks for the help guys!

kimbosa Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    We have a few with 24.5 low pros, and not enough difference to notice, we used to get trucks with 24.5 LPs to pull them with, I don't think there would be that much difference in the angle of the box causing trouble for you.

The difference would be minimal, and 22.5 tall rubber on the trailer would be roughly the same height as 24.5 lps.

BulletProof Thanks this.
  4. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    Tires will be OK. Different sizes just mean 2 spares.Transmission and rears are due to be O/hauled, if not already.
    I do not count on a million miles between in-frames.Be sure and have an oil analysys performed by an independent company. Cheapest item to buy for the most good.

BulletProof Thanks this.
  5. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    I run 24.5s on our pete and all our trailers are 22.5s no problem.

BulletProof Thanks this.
  6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Don't fall in love with that truck. At that price you should be able to find something similar with half the miles on it. Inframes with CAT's are not cheap depending on which kit silver, gold, or platinum you are looking at big bucks - and that's not counting anything else you'll likely need to replace. Platinum is about $20k out the door gold and silver a littlecheaper. If I can find the link later or tomorrow I'll show you an immaculate well maintained 379 (long gone) from a member in the classifieds that had no-where near the miles what you are looking at for about the same money. Some people think a lot of their trucks and think they can recoup what they sink into one. Those people who do are few and far between but every once in a while a sucker comes along and falls in love.

Road Boss, whoopNride, Cetane+ and 3 others Thank this.
  7. BulletProof

Feb 17, 2013
    Alabama
    Perhaps I should elaborate on why I "fell in love" with this truck. I want a pre emissions (at least pre DPF truck) so that puts me at 07 or older. I don't want an ACERT CAT so that that takes me to 2003 or older unless I find one up to 2007 with an ISX Cummins. I also want an 18 speed with 3.36 or 3.55 rears. 3.55 is ok if it has the tall 24.5s. If they were LP or 22.5 then I would want the 3.36 rears. I also want the 70 inch sleeper and it has both side widows and the escape door. The door and windows aren't a must but I do like having them. I really wanted the work station (drivers lounge) and this is the first pete I have come across in the past few months of looking that has one. It also has the full gauge package. Its not a deal breaker if a truck doesn't have the gauge package but with me having quite a bit of mechanical knowledge of these trucks, I like to keep my eye on everything I can.

With all of that being said, this truck hit every single "must-have" on my list that is in excellent shape. I have yet to find a truck that meets all of my criteria until this one. The trucks I have been finding either have all of what I want but they are ragged out and beat to hell and back or they are very nice trucks with high gears or flat tops or something that would be a deal breaker. Or, they are across the country and this one is 45 minutes from my house. My budget for a truck is $80,000. When I found this truck that had everything I could ask for in a truck and saw that it was $18,000 BELOW budget, I was very interested. After driving it, I fell in love. Admittedly, this was the first time I've driven a Peterbilt ever and the first time driving an 18 speed (I have driven 8/9, 10, and super 10 before). The 18 was just like a 9 speed with a super 10 up top and I love the super 10 trans so I felt right at home splitting the gears. That may have had a part to play in my falling in love with it.

8. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    too much money for that truck

the tall 24's shouldn't be a problem. lo pro 24's are the same size as 11r 22.5's

Cetane+ and BulletProof Thank this.
  9. BulletProof

Feb 17, 2013
    Alabama
  10. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    very nice truck, i still feel 62k is too much for it though.

Cetane+ and BulletProof Thank this.
  11. diesel dawg

diesel dawg Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2009
    WALNUT RIDGE, AR
    the truck looks great but 62 for a truck thats 11 years old sounds high, but if you like it that muck go for it

BulletProof Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.