Found this on my axle plug

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by biofumes, Jan 21, 2018.

1. biofumes

biofumes Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2009
    California
    Doing some maintenance today, decided to change the differential axle fluid (using Travelers 85W-140), not sure what was in there before, figure fresh new gear oil, is better than whatever is in there.

Attached is the pic of what it looked like, its been running fine, no noise, no issues, but it seems really bad and maybe, now just maybe I need to take it apart, what do you think? I found long very thin shards.

axle plug.jpeg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Boy oh Boy....

Pretend you NEVER seen this! Wipe it off,Put new oil in and Run it.

Those Magnets can be your friend or Ruin your Weekend plans!!

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  4. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Nothin bad yet. Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like drill fillings from the factory when they put in the breather/ fill plug. Pop the plug out in a week or so and see if it picked up any more.

Oxbow and jammer910Z Thank this.
  5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    CK the fill plug and the drain plug after a week of running, if they have got a cone shaped of fine steel stuck to them, its time to take it to a shop you trust?

6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    You have a failure for sure IMO. Maybe early yet but something is likely broken. Spread the pieces on the towel and see if there are any more in the bottom or in the drain pan with a magnet. Run it some more if you like , but my guess is there is more to come. Is this a power divider? What diff?

Volvo8873 Thanks this.
  7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Tough call. We see this all the time. Like mentioned, could be drill fillings from machining process from the factory that finally made it's way to the magnet. Either run it and hope for the best, or pull it. If you pull it, might as well install a reman unit and be done with it.

Hammer166 and wore out Thank this.
  8. biofumes

biofumes Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2009
    California
    Yes, power divider, Spicer.

9. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Spread the pieces out on the paper you have to see them more clear. That one piece up front surely looks like it may be a piece of bearing cage, hard to tell. Looks like more than machining to me. There are usually 2 larger magnets in the bottom of the housing and they may be holding the rest of the debris.As others mention,Either way a teadown an inpect and replace with a Reman is the only way to go unless you know the diff well.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Myself I'd refill it and run it a while. Pick up a spare magnetic plug and do a plug swap after a couple days or a week. If you find more shrapnel on the magnet its time to consider pulling it and inspecting it. If cash allows and it has high miles it may be better to just replace the carrier assembly anyways for peace of mind.

Oxbow, StrokerTSi, VWbeagle and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Volvo8873

Volvo8873 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    I am with @Goodysnap on this. There is a failure for certain. I would not be able to sleep with a issue like that.

Goodysnap Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.