Four Killed After Semi Crashes Into College Softball Team's Bus

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by GA_Rookie, Sep 27, 2014.

1. GA_Rookie

GA_Rookie Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Northwest, GA
    http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/26643046/four-killed-after-semi-crashes-into-college-softball-teams-bus

oklahoma-softball-bus-crash.jpg

NBC News - Four Texas college students died after a tractor-trailer crossed the median on an Oklahoma highway and crashed into a bus carrying an all-female softball team Friday night, officials said.

Three team members were killed at the scene and a fourth teammate died in the hospital, Capt. Ronnie Hampton of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol said during a news conference Saturday morning.

Eleven students were transported to nearby hospitals, Hampton said. Six of the hospitalized students were discharged Saturday morning, Daryle Voss, president of Mercy Hospital Ardmore, told NBC News.

The bus carrying the team from North Central Texas College was traveling southbound on I-35 near the town of Ardmore in southern Oklahoma at around 9 p.m. CT (10 p.m. ET) when a northbound semi-truck crossed a “wide” median and slammed into the bus, causing it to roll.

The semi-truck continued into a heavily wooded area, Hampton said. The driver of the semi-truck was transported to Paul's Valley Hospital and the driver of the bus, also the softball coach, refused treatment at the scene, Hampton said.

The NTSB launched an investigation, and Hampton said Oklahoma authorities would pursue a homicide investigation.

The softball team had just played a game against Southern Nazarene University in Bethany, Oklahoma, on Friday, and were about 40 miles from their school on the Texas border when the crash occurred.

The team roster listed a 20-person, all-female team comprised of freshman and sophomores. Nearly all of them are native Texans. “We ask for your prayers at this time for our softball team.

Their bus has been involved in an accident in Oklahoma,” North Central Texas College wrote in a Facebook post.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Helowrenchturn2

Helowrenchturn2 Medium Load Member

Apr 23, 2013
    A bad deal all way around for sure

4. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Very, very sad... prayers for all...

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Just . . . Just . . . . Bad. Bad Bad. On all fronts.

RIP.

6. GA_Rookie

GA_Rookie Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Northwest, GA
    10539126_10153192918438858_2719926622804530106_o.jpg

Brooke Deckard, 20, Blue Ridge, Texas

Jaiden Pelton, 20, Telephone, Texas

Meagan Richardson, 19, Wylie, Texas

Katelynn Woodlee, 18, Windom, Texas

doubledragon5, xlsdraw and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  7. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Dharok, Lepton1, HalpinUout and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    ####. My wife graduated from NCTC, and I remember that wreck. Didn't realize this was an old thread being updated with new info, so I was reading the OP thinking "Not again!" Relieved to see it wasn't another wreck involving the school.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    That happened on Arbuckle mountain if I remember correctly. If I remember correctly, word got out that the driver was reaching for something in the cab, and lost control and crossed the median and never tapped a brake. You know that burden was just too much for him to bare. And a huge burden for the families of those young college girls. Condolences to all those families involved.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.