FR gear, what works for drivers?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by speedyk, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    I've never been an oil field truck driver, always did service company work. After witnessing a we'll head separation, and a hot oiler set himself on fire I wouldn't try and save money on my FR gear. Never actually had to buy my own though so my judgement may be a bit scewed.

speedyk Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Us sand haulers are not usually real close to the action. Usually separated by 4 or 5 sand boxes from any pumps or frac tanks. Myself and the guys I work with just throw a button up FR shirt on with regular jeans and steel or composite toe boots. With hard hat and glasses of course. Never been an issue anywhere I've been.

speedyk and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  4. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    If your new to the oilfield, I would wait on buying FR's unless the company doesn't provide them. If the oilfield doesn't work out for you, then no money is lost. Otherwise, it is a investment if you stay the long term.

I started out wearing coveralls for several years. Slipping in and out of them can be a pain when wearing clothes underneath. Especially in the summertime, makes it hot as Heil.(pun intended) Winter time is great, because it gives you a layer of clothes.

I finally broke down after a few years, bought 7 pair of FR jeans and several different kinds of long sleeve FR shirts. Under my FR shirts, I wear Hane's Cool Dri short sleeve shirt made of polyester. This helps keep you cool and you can pull off the FR shirt once you leave site. The cool dri shirts are cheap if you buy them online from Walmart.($5.99) I bought like 14 of them, so I don't have to hit the laundry matt for a couple of weeks.

Buying all your safety gear can add up real quick but it is a investment and will pay for itself. I have spent roughly $ 1500 and that includes everything. Hard hat, Steel toe boots, safety glasses, a good mask, good gloves, gas monitor and all my FR clothes.

Good luck to you and be safe out there.

speedyk Thanks this.
  5. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    I drive flatbed locally. I rent mine from the local uniform company. 11 sets of jeans and shirts cost me about $14 a week that includes washing, repair and replacement. I like it cause grease and gunk are naturally attracted to me and I don’t have clean them.

speedyk Thanks this.
  6. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    @ShooterK2 said. Regular pair of blue jeans and long sleeve fr top, haven't ever had an issue

7. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Wrangler Riggs carpenter style FR pants in rip stop cotton. Lighter, tougher, far better made than any blue jean. Super deep pockets. (May have ceased production. Search). I have had over a dozen pairs; bigger cut for winter.

I won’t ever buy blue jeans again. Have a pair or two left to out to bar. Worthless otherwise.

Best shirts are WALLS FR button down.

Spend and receive quality. Tax deduction

I used Keen Atlanta composite toe low-cut vented workshoes. Had several rig safety men ask about them. Can go in washer.

Level One is outer layer only.

So I used vented UnderArmour shorts and poly tee-shirts.

My job entailed my coming and going to rig, usually on site one hour or less.

South Texas heat and they all lasted several years. Didn’t tear up.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  8. Goddragon555

Goddragon555 Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2018
    North Dakota
    I'm a bakken water truck driver. I wear flannel lines jeans and what not under fr bibs. I'm on my second pair of carhartts since September. I'm not impressed by carhartt. I wish they made the bottom half water resistant or something. As it's warming up in going to switch to jeans. I've never been hassled about wearing frs though. I never wear fr coats or anything. I wear regular sweatshirts or coats. I've been hassled once at a oil rig when I was delivering fly ash in super sacks. I think I was probably hassled more to do with the fact that I don't wear safety glasses over my normal glasses though

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.