Frac Sand Hauling Midland/Odessa & EAST & West

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by vagao198122, Jan 18, 2019.

1. vagao198122

vagao198122 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2019
    Evening, Folks

I'm seriously thinking about becoming an O/O Hauling frat Sand. I saved enough money to buy my own truck. What kind of truck should I buy?Please be specific make, model and year. My budget is up to $25K my preference is Kenworth & Peterbilt. with the LED restrictions I thought about buying a 1999-2000 Model Exempt. On the other hand as backup I think would be safe to buy a 2005-07 in case there's a decline in fraction sand I can possibly use the truck over the roads hauling something. As an O/O would I be able to survive in this economy? Considering everybody keeps saying there's crush coming in the oilfield.
    What are the best companies to lease from? Your feedback will be appreciated. Will there be work for Frac sand in the next four months?In a good year will I be busy all year around?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

I don't know a thing about sand, but just make sure your truck will qualify for the company you are leasing on to because some have an age restriction.

I was talking to a guy who used to haul sand and moved to another oilfield product. He said sand was very good when it was good but the work can dry up quickly. As far as the ELD restriction, I run a 2012 glider that is ELD exempt but if the company want you to use electronic logs then it won't matter as they have the final say.

4. CaboverKid

CaboverKid Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Id never want to own anything newer then 99. No emissions, elog, sensors running sensors BS. All pre emission engines are proven to be reliable if maintained right, but try to keep it newer then 94 so you dont get into a mechanical engine, they will blow all the profit out the stack. Ive always been a freightliner guy, owned a few KW's, but keep going back to Freightliner. Solid old trucks that you can get parts for just about anywhere, and way cheaper then a paccar...

5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I'll disagree with you about a full on mechanical blowing $$$ out the stacks. If you have the timing set right its not that much different than an electronic engine.

@Rockdoctor yeah sand is either feast or famine. Water pays just a tad bit less but you'll have more consistency with it. Sandbox hurt the rates so now its pretty even with water.

CaboverKid Thanks this.
  6. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    @CaboverKid if you put your run of the mill mega driver in an old school mech. They'll get horrible fuel mileage and cook the motor if you got bigger injectors and timing advanced. Prob don't even know what a pyro gauge is

1qwkgoat Thanks this.
  7. drew2083

drew2083 Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Colorado
    Your truck will get beat to ####. So, get a Mack :)

8. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I don't know how it is now, but a few years back when frac sand was the big thing around here, we had a couple trucks doing it. My boss made the comment that to be in the sand hauling business you as an owner, better be able to survive six months without a paycheck. I know for a fact there were some stretches of six month and more waiting to be paid. I'd hope it has gotten a little better.

9. Masonkid

Masonkid Bobtail Member

Nov 20, 2017
    In our area you see all kinds hauling frac sand. Many frac sites are very tight, some so bad the big Petes and KW take forever getting turned around. Like @CaboverKid said, 94-2002. The guys running these, (like me, ‘96 Fld 120, 12.7 Detroit ) are there every day without the downtime many newer trucks are having. It’s all about having something YOU can work on if you want to be profitable. Most outfits you can pull for are 3-4 weeks out on pay, but tell you that up front. Fuel adds up.

like clay… +++ Thanks this.
  10. Rudedud&Red

Rudedud&Red Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2019
    I wouldn't get fancy your going to beat the piss out of it. And it'll be operating in the worst condition a truck can be.

11. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Don"t spend all your money on the truck, buy a mid 90;s with no fairing to get caught on the speed bumps and sage brush, a good mattress and cooler,enough cash to go 2 or 3 months , don:t worry about the long book,if u don;t know how to navigate by lat and long coordinates,learn, they arent real good about giving directions, if u dont have a truck I would go out to the Midland,Odessa area and drive someone else truck to learn the biz.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.