Frac Sand O/O, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Oilfield_Proud, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Oilfield_Proud

Oilfield_Proud Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2020
    I got a job offer (for power only) hauling frac sand the guy told me I would average $1300 a day hauling 2 or 3 loads a day. At the moment I am a company driver doing water transfer making around 1700 a week. I would have to buy a truck, get insurance, pay for fuel, repairs etc etc.... $1300 a day sounds like A LOT but is it worth it considering all the expenses?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    2 or 3 loads per day that are less than 100mi round trip sound pretty decent but what if they have too many trucks running and you're waiting for an hour or two at each end?
    Try to get more info before you go after the $1,300/day because it might not feel like a great deal after putting in 16hr days regularly.
    I'd say if you aren't running on a mine field of lease roads and you can get the loads delivered in 10 hours on average then you're looking pretty decent so long as your truck stays together and your insurance isn't too insane.

Oilfield_Proud Thanks this.
  4. User666

User666 Medium Load Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Northeast Ohio
    Only you can answer that question. Crunch all the numbers and see what you're left with. Make sure you can get insurance and how much it will cost before doing anything.

Oilfield_Proud Thanks this.
  5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    It is a down turn in the patch right now. Stay at your 1700 per wk company job instead of being royally ####ed when your stuck with a payment you can't make. Why isn't he buying another truck instead if it's that good right now?

6. darknessesedge

darknessesedge Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    bingo

7. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    Sand jobs are far and few between.

This week you will make bank doing this job then next 4 weeks you will sit until the next job.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.