Freezing temps, leaving truck for 15 days, will batteries die?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Alexander suero, Dec 9, 2018.

1. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I would be more concerned with your fuel gelling than the batteries freezing. If it gets below 20, you could come back to your fuel tanks full of candle wax.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    I would imagine one or more...will be "toast". With computer drain and cold winds and all.Can you plug it in with extension cord?

4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    This is a serious concern unless OP fuels up near the terminal with local, winterized, fuel. The solar trickle charger should keep the batteries up

Had a guy from the Chicago area load in Jacksonville for Thunder Bay who learned the hard way that FL fuel just won't take the extreme cold. Took two expensive days sitting in a heated shop before the fuel liquefied enough to be treated and get the truck re-started...

5. rasymacmac21

rasymacmac21 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2009
    East of the Mississippi.
    Safest bet is probably to disconnect them for that long

6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    With all electrical loads removed, either disconnect the batteries or use the shut off switch if you have one. Sitting in the cold doesn’t really bother fully charged batteries.
    I’ve successfully started a truck (2006 Century with a MBE4000 Mercedes) that sat for 3 weeks like that. Then when it was -22C (-07F) I had to wind it over a good solid minute before it fired up without any additional aids.
    So if it’s any warmer than that you should be fine.
    If it’s colder you’ll have to plug in the block heater if it has one.
    If not you’ll need a propane tiger torch, fire it up, stick it inside a two or three foot piece of stove pipe under the oil pan. You don’t want the flame to actually touch the oil pan. Throw a tarp over the engine and close the hood. In about an hour it’ll be toasty warm and will start.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.