Freight claims, will this end up being sent to my insurance?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by W Bench Farms, Aug 19, 2021.

1. W Bench Farms

W Bench Farms Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2017
    I've never had a freight claim, and hopefully this won't turn into one. Picked up a load of bag fertilizer for a customer. Great Khan said only needed tarp if the weather makes it necessary. I checked the weather forecast and the radar didn't see anything there. 20 minutes later the monsoon hit. Tried to get tarps on as fast as I could, and I got soaked in the process. Customer noted it on the BOL. I let my broker know as well. Have never had at issues in the past, and am worried sick about this one. Any advice? I know I learned my lesson on this one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Never tattle tale on yourself.

4. W Bench Farms

Oct 16, 2017
    I didn't until the customer asked if it got rained on. Was hoping to slide it through.

JoeTruck Thanks this.
  5. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    If you can’t eat it, or use it, you better tarp it, or you’ll be stuck with it, kinda like that ugly girl from the bar when you were hammered and woke up with 4B6BF2AD-196A-4E61-8456-D49F1AAF5ED3.gif at your place, and a few months later she’s knocked up and it’s yours and your stuck with an ugly thing and an ugly kid.
    The tarp would’ve saved you, just sayin...

gentleroger and Banker Thank this.
  6. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Dammi$ driver you get to the point and I like it! You speak the truth and sometimes the truth hurts. I can’t speak for anyone else but I have learned more when it got in my pocketbook than any other time. Hopefully it won’t cost the OP too bad but it definitely is a learning opportunity. Don’t worry we all screw up on occasion.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  7. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    If a load can be damaged by the weather tarp it in the future. In your situation, I would have stopped and tarped the load, and not said a word. If asked I would have said I tarped the load before I left.

8. W Bench Farms

Oct 16, 2017

It was tarped as soon as it started raining, and delivered tarped. I never said anything until the customer mentioned it. I told him we had a downpour while I was strapping down and couldn't get a tarp on it fast enough. Had to strap outside because they were waiting to load another truck inside.

Dino soar and bad-luck Thank this.
  9. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Ok, smart that was a good explanation!

Dino soar Thanks this.
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    If the product is damaged, like soaked with water, I would not want it either. You may need to use your cargo insurance.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Don’t matter what you are told the weather is going to be, you prepare for the worst weather. I have never trusted weather forecasters or weather apps.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.